Friday, June 24, 2011

INTERVIEW WITH JIM HIGLEY, AUTHOR OF "BOBBLEHEAD DAD"

INTERVIEW WITH JIM HIGLEY
AUTHOR OF "BOBBLEHEAD DAD"


[image]


(1) After reading your biography it says you were the fourth person in your family diagnosed with cancer. Did you have any warning signs or expect it at all?

My cancer diagnosis literally came out of left field. The blue. It dropped out of the sky. I had no symptoms. An blood test run by MISTAKE picked up the red flag that something might be going on. Had that test not been done, it's likely I would have not survived because by the time I would have presented symptoms, the cancer would have spread too far.

(2) You are a true inspiration to so many people and your book "Bobblehead Dad" has already had so much positive feedback. Do you ever have moments where it all feels surreal to you?

Like now? Like answering this list of questions!? I feel like I'm living a dream every day. But then I go back to my book and read chapter 24 with the lesson "Expect the Unexpected" and I remind myself that's it's okay to enjoy this journey.

(3) How hard is it being a stay-at-home dad?

It's work. So is being a stay-at-home mom. A working mom. A working dad. A doctor. A landscaper. I guess I don't dwell on it all that much. The toughest part is that it's hard to get a break. You're always on-call!

(4) Do you ever regret your decision to dedicate your life to taking care of you children?

Never. All I have to do is look at their life and the health that they have - emotionally and physically - and I know I've done the right thing.

(5) You video taped a fantastic recipe that your dad makes. Tell us a bit about your dad and his role in your life.

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. My dad was amazing. My mom died when I was 14 so he really had his world turned upside down. He single-handedly raised me after that. He was funny, loving, caring, loyal, energetic, charitable, youthful, and proud. It was an honor to have him as my dad.

(6) Now that you've told us about your dad, tell us about your mom and some of the things she taught you while growing up.

My mom was comfortable with who she was. She could talk to anyone about anything. And she had no problem saying what she felt. But she could do it in such a kind way. She always smiled. Her eyes were radiant. Her face crinkled when she smiled. She laughed often. She gave extraordinary backscratches. She adored her children. She was loved by everyone who knew her. She taught me the foundation for living a purposeful life simply by the way she lived hers.

(7) What are some of your favorite pastimes involving your children?

We like playing games. Right now we're in a gin rummy routine. We like to travel together. We like movies. My daughter and I like to run together. My older son and I like to cheer on Duke basketball. And I feel like I am eternally sitting in the stands watching my youngest son play sports.

(8) Are there other charities that you are involved with besides The Imerman Angels?

If it's cancer related, I'm behind it. Right now, I'm proud to be doing new things with LiveSTRONG.

(9) Besides overcoming cancer and writing your first book, what are some of the other greatest achievements in your life?

Well, that's easy. Achievement one is raising my three children. No book, no illness, nothing comes close to that.

(10) Is there any advice you'd like to give to others going through or that have gone through cancer? How about any advice to other authors that are interested in writing their own memoirs?

I'd have to give the same advice to both groups. Reach out to others for help. For cancer patients, don't try to do it alone. You need help. You deserve help. And there are so many people who are there for you. If in doubt, contactwww.imermanangels.org.For writers, as tough as the literary world is, you need to reach out to people you admire. You'll be amazed at how many people reach back. And just because one person - or more - don't respond, never give up. I believe I am now quoting from Chapter 17 of my book: Ask. And you just might receive!

Read more:http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=interviews&thread=278&page=1#ixzz1QEXCoTXZ

No comments:

Post a Comment