Friday, June 3, 2011

R.E. SCHOBERND INTERVIEW

R.E. SCHOBERND INTERVIEW


[image]


R.E. Schobernd, Author of the "Irrevocable Change" trilogy.


[image]


A. Interviewer:Tell everyone what your latest book is about? Is it a continuation or stand-alone novel?

Bob:"Reverse Metamorphosis" is the first book of a trilogy. The story is of a young man who lets circumstances guide him toward becoming a hired killer. His chosen profession is interwoven with his relationships with friends, family and criminal associates. Several people have told me they found themselves liking the lead character even though they knew they shouldn't. But as the story progressed and he completed his "reverse metamorphosis" they assigned him the lack of respect he deserved.

A. Interviewer:Since your book is part of a series is it possible to read the subsequent books before reading the initial story?

Bob:I strongly advise against reading them out of sequence. The story isn't just about sequential events; the main emphasis of the story is the emotional changes the characters go through. I really feel the reader needs to experience those changes with the characters in the order they are presented. As a side note; the outline was originally written as one story, but of course it was too long. The three individual books were created at the points where "natural breaks" occurred. Each book then ended on a strong closing with the promise of a good carryover to the subsequent book.

A. Interviewer:What inspired you to write a crime series about an assassin?

Bob:It's in my nature to go against the flow; I don't blindly follow the crowd. Everyone writes about detective heroes so I chose to explore a character study of an anti-hero. Writing a run of the mill genre book posed no challenge to me at this time, even though they are more commercially successful; I wanted to explore a storyline no one else is touching. Featuring a bad guy poses many more writing traps for the author than sticking to the safety of a hero image. It also offers intelligent readers a chance to experience what a character that is totally alien to their morals might go through.

A. Interviewer:Do you feel one book of the series is stronger than the others?

Bob:Yes, definitely. Book one "Reverse Metamorphosis" must transition the lead character from an innocent young man to a killer and set the stage for his future actions. The process of him changing from innocence to evil is where the title was derived. Book two, "The Assassin Evolves" follows the Assassin to the pinnacle of his career and throws him some personal as well as professional defeats. Personally, I felt this was the strongest as well as most difficult to write. The sequence where a serial rapist/killer and his girlfriend are dealt with was very difficult for me to write emotionally, but I feel it was a necessary part of who the assassin is. Book three, "The Devil's Homecoming" covers Clayton Albrecht's fall and brings the story to an end. All three books are intense and detail the assassin's family relationship, but book three portrays the pain they are all subjected to by the chaos he creates.

A. Interviewer:What were you trying to accomplish by writing this story?

Bob:My intention was, and remains, to show the complex emotional makeup of a person of extreme violence. Even the worst of human beings have relationships with people close to them who they will defend with their last breath. I attempted to humanize the character; not to make him worthy of praise or give him approval but to emphasize the total emotional makeup of the character, both good and evil.

A. Interviewer:How did you come up with the details and plot twist in these stories?

Bob:For me, it seems that after I build an initial outline of each book (usually about three to four pages long) I begin writing and the story just flows. As I write I get additional ideas and pursue those new story lines. As for details, I sit back, close my eyes, and imagine myself in the scene and then write down what I saw.

A. Interviewer:Do you inject your own experiences and perceptions into your writing?

Bob:I think to some degree every writer does that, whether consciously or unconsciously. But since I've never killed anyone or even attempted to, I had to rely on my imagination and research material for those details.

A. Interviewer:What are the primary attributes you feel your main character has?

Bob:Tenacity. Clayton Albrecht doesn't quit or give up. And consistency; I hate it when characters change emotions in every chapter, or even from book to book. Also, he accepts murder as a moral and acceptable way of dealing with problems.

A. Interviewer:What should the reader expect to take away from the story?

Bob:I hope the readers are emotionally strong enough to be capable of and willing to let their minds get into the central character from his point of view. Instead of heaping condemnation on him from a societal viewpoint, attempt to get into his head and understand why he is the person he becomes. The story isn't just about murdering someone for pay, it's about the man who can perform such acts against humanity and live with it, all the while having a loving relationship with his family members.

A. Interviewer:Do you have any 'artifacts' around your desk or writing area that help you connect with your storyline?

Bob:No! No skulls with bullet holes in them or killing tools. What I do have are books written by ex-Mafia members, survival books, military sniper volumes, etc. along with downloads from wikipedia on weapons.

A. Interviewer:What determines the level of detail to support your writing?

Bob:Pure instinct! Upon review I see if the settings are described adequately so I can place myself there and be part of the scene being played out. In several instances I had to delete details because I decided they were overkill, especially in some of the more violent or adult sexuality segments. There is also profanity in the stories because these are coarse, mostly uneducated, hoodlums the assassin is interacting with and this is their language.

A. Interviewer:Do you read your older work and get the urge to change/edit it?

Bob:Yes, I'm a true wordsmith and could keep revising forever if I didn't just say Stop!

A. Interviewer:Since you have written and published multiple books, is there anything you would change about your first published work?

Bob:Nothing major. If I wasn't satisfied with the result I wouldn't have published it.

A. Interviewer:How many other projects have you completed and what do you have on your 'back burners'?

Bob:After "Irrevocable Change" I published a political commentary, "My Perceptions of Our Incompetent Incumbents", in which I took both parties to task for the stupid and wasteful actions they implement. Currently I'm working on a love story, "The Agreement". After that, another political commentary and then a detective story, "Carter A. Johnson."

A. Interviewer:How do you introduce yourself to people, as an author or a writer when the occasion calls for it?

Bob:Usually it doesn't come up unless I simply tell someone I'm writing novels in my spare time. I guess Aspiring Author would be the title I would claim now since mine is not a name that many readers recognize.

Read more:http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=interviews&action=display&thread=157#ixzz1OF7MSmSG

No comments:

Post a Comment