Tuesday, August 30, 2011

INTERVIEW WITH G.M. FRAZIER

INTERVIEW WITH MULTI-GENRE AUTHOR, G.M. FRAZIER!


[image]
[image]



GMTA: When did you first begin writing and what was the catalyst that started it all?

G.M. FRAZIER: I suppose my writing life started in the eighth grade when I was elected the entertainment reporter for my school newspaper. I wrote a small column for each edition that was usually a movie review. I remember doing a review for the film “The Poseidon Adventure” starring Gene Hackman. That was the first time I ever recall getting compliments on my writing style and I began to think then that I might have a knack for it.

GMTA: I think it's great that you don't stick to just one genre. Do you find more freedom in this?

G.M. FRAZIER: Absolutely. I write what I feel like writing without regard to what genre the story may or may not fit into. I let the readers worry about that.

GMTA: You've written 5 books or more so far, do you have a favorite out of all of them?

I think the novel I’m working on now is going to wind up being my favorite. Of my published novels or short pieces, I’d have to say Gerard is probably my favorite just because it was so much fun to write and is so different from the run of the mill vampire tales.

GMTA: Besides writing you are an editor as well and you practice Family Law, have you ever thought about which one you'd choose if you had to give all of them up but one?

G.M. FRAZIER: That’s a tough question. I don’t do much editing any more, mainly because I don’t have the time. Let’s assume your question means which one would I choose if I had to give them all up but one, and could make a living doing that
one. The answer would be writing. But I can almost guarantee I’d also find a way to continue to do Family Law taking pro bono cases if my writing generated enough income to support me.

GMTA: Tell us about your various works and what types of stories they each are.

G.M. FRAZIER: "Summer Solstice"was my first attempt at writing a novel. When I finished it in the summer of 1993 it was a convoluted monstrosity, nearly a thousand pages long, that suffered from all the typical problems of a writer’s first novel. When I reworked it for publication earlier this year, I corrected most of the issues (including the excessive length), but it still shows itself to be a first novel. Nevertheless, it’s a good story that pays tribute to an unsung hero in our society: the stepfather. I’m talking about the true stepfathers, the men who step up and actually take on the role of a father and mentor to the children of the women they marry. I purposely subtitled the book “A Love Story,” because that’s what it is: a love story for adults, primarily women, who live in the real world and know what it’s like to raise a child or two without a father in the home and then be blessed to find a man who is willing to love their children as if they were his own. "Return to Innocence" was my second novel and contains some characters from Summer Solstice. It is the story of a psychologist who is falsely accused of molesting a child in his care and the nightmare he has to go through to clear his name. The first edition of Return to Innocence was published in limited quantities in 1999 by a small start up publisher. I’ve just released a revised second edition in e-book and trade paperback. "Gerard" is a novella about a ten-year-old boy vampire. It takes place in the present day with many flashbacks to the 1850s when the boy was alive and living on a plantation south of New Orleans. Rather than a horror story, Gerard is really a loss of innocence tale with a supernatural twist. "Brian’s Wish" is another novella about a boy who is dying from cancer and when presented with all the possibilities a make-a-wish foundation has to offer, his wish is to meet Charles Vos, the man who started the foundation. As the story progresses, it becomes apparent, however, what Brian’s true wish is, and Vos is faced with a decision that will change his life forever.

GMTA: You mention that your father took you to a book sale when you were 6 at the public library, was he an avid reader as well?

G.M. FRAZIER: He was, but he wasn’t much of a fiction reader. Dad liked to read biographies and history books. When he died in 1984, he was reading Prudent Soldier, a biography of the civil war General E. R. S. Canby by Max L. Heyman, Jr.

GMTA: Besides the authors that have influenced you in your writing are there any others that have had a profound influence on your career?

G.M. FRAZIER: I’m assuming by “career” you mean my “writing career.” I was living on the North Shore of Boston when I wrote my first novel and had the great privilege of meeting John Updike, who lived not far from my house. He was very gracious to me and his comments and advice about pursuing a “writing life” have served me well.

GMTA: Tell us about your latest book.

G.M. FRAZIER: The novel I’m writing now is entitled "A Death on the Wolf". It’s set in the fictitious town of Bells Ferry, Mississippi during the summer of 1969. The main character is Nelson Gody, a fifteen-year-old who lives on a small family farm with his five-year-old sister and their widower father. This is a love story and a coming of a age story that deals with old conflicts, both natural and man-made, that faced everyone, young and old alike, who grew up in the 60s on the Gulf Coast.

GMTA: Do you have any ideas for your next novel?

G.M. FRAZIER: I’m a Mason and was greatly disappointed in Dan Brown’s treatment of Freemasonry in his last novel. I’ve been contemplating writing a thriller about Freemasonry that will be more historically grounded than Brown’s The Lost Symbol.

GMTA: Is there any advice you'd like to give to other aspiring authors?

G.M. FRAZIER: Never lose sight of the fact that it’s your product, your writing, that will ultimately establish your bona fides with readers. No amount of publicity or marketing can make a poorly written book better than what it is. Always be writing; always be learning. Never assume you know all there is to know about the craft of writing. The writing life is a life-long learning process and your goal as a writer should always be to make the next story you write better than the last. You may not always succeed, but if that is your goal and you work at it, you will achieve it more times than not.

Thank you so much Gary, for your time and your wonderful additions to the literary world!

For more information about G.M. Frazier and his works visit his site at: http://www.gmfrazier.com/


Read more: http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=interviews&action=display&thread=433#ixzz1WYoOtGeS

No comments:

Post a Comment