Sunday, October 16, 2011

HALLOWEEN INTERVIEW WITH AARON POLSON

"TERRIFYING TOMES" HALLOWEEN CONTEST INTERVIEW SERIES (AARON POLSON)

[image] [image] [image] [image]


How did you first start writing and what were some of your inspirations?

I started writing in earnest about five years ago. I’d just finished the final Harry Potter book and felt a big empty hole in my life. What was I to do with no more Harry? Well, write my own books. I’ve been writing most of my life, but it was Harry’s end which brought a beginning to my serious pursuit of publication.

Is horror/supernatural/paranormal/thriller the only genre you write in?

Whichever name it goes by, yes—for the most part. Some of my work is more “urban fantasy” or contemporary, but it almost always speculative in nature. I’ve dabbled with science fiction before, but find it isn’t really my natural voice. Things which go “bump” in the night have always interested me, and I’m quite fond of ghost stories.

What are some of your other books and where can we find them?

Several e-book collections are available through Smashwords, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. You can also find a novel, Loathsome, Dark and Deep (an alternate history set in the pine forests of Oregon after the American Civil War) and my “greatest hits” short story collection, The Saints are Dead, in paperback.

What is your favorite thing about Halloween?

The opportunity to listen to spooky music and decorate my house/classroom without looking like a nutter.

How do you celebrate Halloween if at all?

My children (Owen, 8 and Max, 5) are still rather young, so we don our homemade costumes and scour the neighborhood for candy. We have a medieval theme this year.

What is your all time favorite scary movie?

Tough question. Very tough. I’m quite fond of The Haunting (1963, dir. by Robert Wise). It’s a great study in how minimal effects and great timing make a brilliant film. The original Alien (1979, dir. by Ridley Scott) is also a fine movie. Think of Alien as a haunted house film and you’ll watch it differently. I’m also partial to John Carpenter’s The Thing (1982); the forthcoming remake has me more than a bit skeptical. The original was so brilliant and bleak.

What are some of the things you dressed up as for Halloween when you were a kid?

Assorted monsters… Count Dracula… A Martian in homemade costume… In 1984, I was a Ghostbuster.

Tell us about your very first Halloween.

I can’t remember the first, but my mother has photos. She liked to dress me in chintzy plastic costumes from Wal-Mart. I think they’re illegal now—something about toxins in the plastic.

Were you ever the scary storyteller of the group or more the one to get scared?

A little bit of both. My neighbors (the Sullivans) and I would play all sorts of “scare” games as children. They had the spookiest basement on the planet and most of our games ended with someone locked downstairs while the others flicked the light on and off and laughed.

Thank you for your time with this interview, is there anymore information about your works you'd like to share with us?

Thanks for the interview—I’m always happy to speak/chat/exchange emails with readers or other horror fans. You can find me on Facebook (www.facebook.com/aaronpolsonauthor), Twitter (@aaronpolson), or at my blog (www.aaronpolson.net). Happy Halloween!



Read more: http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=interviews&thread=720#ixzz1azidDHUP