Monday, October 17, 2011

HALLOWEEN INTERVIEW WITH DAWN COLCLASURE

"TERRIFYING TOMES" HALLOWEEN CONTEST INTERVIEW SERIES (DAWN COLCLASURE)

[image]


How did you first start writing and what were some of your inspirations?

I started writing as a child. I was in a car accident at a young age that resulted in third-degree burns and so this meant several stays in various hospitals for reconstructive surgery. A nurse gave me a journal and suggested I write poetry. I soon found I enjoyed writing short stories, as well, and this led on to writing articles, essays, book-length manuscripts, etc.

My biggest influence during my younger years was Stephen King. In fact, a poem in my poetry book, Songs of the Dead, pays homage to The Shining. The hedge maze in the movie is in the background on the cover, as well. As a kid, my older sister would read Stephen King novels to me, which both frightened and fascinated my muse. I liked how his stories could just take us into a whole ‘nother world and we could experience a roller coaster of emotions such as fear, anxiety and curiosity. Anne Rice, Tami Hoag, Anne McCaffrey, Michael Crichton and Mary Higgins Clark are some other authors who have inspired me.

Is horror/supernatural/paranormal/thriller the only genre you write in?

It is not the only genre I write in, but it is the BIG one I write in. I have so many paranormal-themed books unpublished and lined up for creation. I have a middle-grade paranormal mystery series coming soon, with the first book to be published in early 2012. I have also written for children as well as Christian poetry a book called "Take My Hand" is going to be out and available next year. My forthcoming novel, Shadow of Samhain, is the only dark fantasy work I have ever done.

What are some of your other books and where can we find them?

Some other books I’ve done are BURNING THE MIDNIGHT OIL: How We Survive as Writing Parents, which can be purchased at Booklocker.com. There is also 365 TIPS FOR WRITERS: Inspiration, Writing Prompts and Beat the Block Tips to Turbo Charge Your Creativity published by Filbert Publishing; TOTALLY SCARED: The Complete Book on Haunted Houses which I co-authored with Martha Jette, available from Saga Books; Love is Like a Rainbow: Poems of Love and Devotion available from Gypsy Shadow Publishing (same publisher for Songs of the Dead); and my children’s book, The Yellow Rose, also available from Gypsy Shadow Publishing. These books can also be special ordered at bookstores and purchased at online retailers such as Amazon.com, B&N, etc. My novel, Shadow of Samhain, is due out later this year by Gypsy Shadow Publishing.

What is your favorite thing about Halloween?

Wow, it’s hard to pick just one thing I love most about Halloween. I love everything about Halloween! But if I had to pick one, it would have to be the spooky, fun and creative decorations we get to put up and display for all of October. The best part is, and I appreciate this as a deaf person, you can enjoy the Halloween decorations even if you can’t hear them. The lights, the movements and just the display itself. It is such fun to decorate for a spooky day!

How do you celebrate Halloween if at all?

Being a mom, we do the trick or treating. But I also decorate and come up with the “Halloween feast” we will enjoy on October 31st, filled with pumpkin foods and anything that is orange! We also enjoy watching horror movies as well as the more kid-friendly Halloween movies for the little ones, and write spooky stories to share on Halloween night. I also write Halloween-themed poetry. Finally, we like to create spooky art that has a Halloween theme.

What is your all time favorite scary movie?

I would be remiss if I didn’t say The Shining. The book was good and the movie is just as enjoyable. Jack Nicholson really brought out the character, Jack Torrance. I also enjoy Poltergeist, The Amityville Horror, Night of the Living Dead and Halloween.

What are some of the things you dressed up as for Halloween when you were a kid?

Buying Halloween costumes was fun as a kid, but I liked the challenge of creating my own costumes. I borrowed my dad’s black shirt and used a black sheet to create a Jedi costume (former Star Wars buff) and one of my sisters helped me create a gypsy costume from items we had in our closet. I have also done the usual “sheet ghost” as well as a witch, cowgirl and Native American squaw.

Tell us about your very first Halloween.

Hard to remember my first Halloween but one memory that sticks out was getting together with everybody in the family, including in-laws, and all of us going trick-or-treating. It was such fun to be a part of a group of people dressed in a variety of costumes! It was also safer, because we all looked out for each other. We enjoyed each other’s company and always had a great time on these outings. Good times.

Were you ever the scary storyteller of the group or more the one to get scared?

I was definitely the scary storyteller. My family moved around a lot when I was a kid and I’d pass the time by telling spooky stories in the car. I even told my sisters and brothers spooky stories before we all went to bed. In fact, once I scared one of my sisters so badly because of a story, my mother scolded me to stop telling such scary stories!

Thank you for your time with this interview, is there anymore information about your works you'd like to share with us?

Readers are welcome to shoot me an email at DMCWriter(at)gmail(dot)com if they would like to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter. Not only will you keep tabs on my latest work, but you’ll get to share your own news, as well.
©2010, Kitty, all rights reserved.

Read more: http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=interviews&thread=725&page=1#ixzz1b3TITCtz