Friday, October 14, 2011

HALLOWEEN INTERVIEW WITH KIKI HOWELL

"TERRIFYING TOMES" HALLOWEEN CONTEST INTERVIEW SERIES (KIKI HOWELL)

[image] [image]


How did you first start writing and what were some of your inspirations?

Well, I think as far back as I can remember, I’ve always had my nose stuck in a book and dreamed of writing one myself some day. Of course, life has it’s own say. But, when my husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in 2005, we went through letters we sent each other when we were dating, and after a decade break from writing, I was reminded of how much I loved it again.

Inspirations? Hmmm, well I started reading the romance genre by taking my mom’s Danielle Steele books. She also got me into Nora Roberts. I moved on myself to Hannah Howell, loving Regency inspired romances, especially the ones with paranormal characters. Currently, I love Annette Blair, Teresa Medeiros, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Heather Graham and Sarah Addison Allen, and many more. I’m reading all the time!

Is horror/supernatural/paranormal/thriller the only genre you write in?

No. I write pagan fiction more and more these days, and my mainstream novel, Hidden Salem releases in 2012. Of course the majority of my paranormals are also erotic romances. My novel, Torn Asunder if historical. And recently, I’ve written a couple of just contemporary romances, no pagan or paranormal elements at all. But, I really strayed from all of those adult stories, and have my first picture book coming out in October called What Are You Afraid Of? A book to help children deal with fears in a way which does stifle their creativity as well.

What are some of your other books and where can we find them?

Well, Torn Asunder is my first full length novel. My best reviewed stories are Rituals and The Healing Spell. I recently had an angel and demon story release this summer called, A Questionable Hero. You can read about all of these stories at http://www.kikihowell.com/2010/06/stories.html

What is your favorite thing about Halloween?

Oh, just one! Wow, I don’t know. Okay, how about my favorite night each year. My sons and I make something called Witch’s Gorp, which is caramel corn with candy and chocolate drizzle. We serve it in a coffin with gummy worms and hot chocolate to drink. And then we put on some of our favorite movies for the season.

How do you celebrate Halloween if at all?

We do the usual. We bake Halloween treats, and the kids go trick or treating while I pass out candy.

What is your all time favorite scary movie?

I haven’t really got to watch many of them in the past years with the kids. I watch my few show a week alone in my room, and the occasional movie I really want to see (typically chick flicks), but I like to be with everyone as much as I can even if I have my laptop while my guys watch sports. So I’ve not watched them in some time. I did watch Paranormal Activity last year and found myself very disappointed. I have caught a few Stephen Kings in the past years, and I always like his stuff. One of our favorites in recent years, now that they are teens, to watch together is The Hollow and The Covenant.

What are some of the things you dressed up as for Halloween when you were a kid?

Pretty typical witch, ghost and princess. A girl friend and I once went as, her a hobo, and me the hobo’s dog. My mom put the hobo patches on the dog costume.

Tell us about your very first Halloween.

I can’t say I remember back that far. LOL I don’t think young my mom dressed me up though. I think the first picture I can find of me in costume is when our moms made a bunch of us friends cornstalks using real cornstalks!

Were you ever the scary storyteller of the group or more the one to get scared?

Probably a little of both. I did watch scary movies, probably a little too young, and while I loved them, Children of the Corn, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc, I slept very little those nights.


Thank you for your time with this interview, is there anymore information about your works you'd like to share with us?

To find out more about me and my stories, or even to catch a few free reads, you can always go to my website http://www.kikihowell.com. Or to keep up on what I’m up to, guest appearances, blog hops, giveaways, etc, friend me on FaceBook http://www.facebook.com/kikihowell or follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/KikiHowell.


Read more: http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=interviews&action=display&thread=713#ixzz1amiSsx65