Saturday, October 15, 2011

HALLOWEEN INTERVIEW WITH LIZ SCHULTE

"TERRIFYING TOMES" HALLOWEEN CONTEST INTERVIEW SERIES (LIZ SCHULTE)

[image] [image]


How did you first start writing and what were some of your inspirations?I used to write short stories in junior high that were very much influenced by R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike (my favorite authors at the time). But then I stopped writing for a long time and it wasn’t until after college I picked it up again. I think anything I read influences me in my writing, but as for inspirations I would say Edgar Allen Poe, Jim Butcher, and Jane Austen (oddly enough).

Is horror/supernatural/paranormal/thriller the only genre you write in?

It is my main genre. Dark Corners is a paranormal mystery. My next book is an urban fantasy. I will probably publish most in these two genres, but I do have plans for a historical fiction at some point.

What are some of your other books and where can we find them?

My second book, Secrets, will be coming out November 22nd. It will be available on Barnes and Noble, Amazon, Smashwords, I-Store, etc.

What is your favorite thing about Halloween?

I like the atmosphere in general. Halloween doesn’t feel like a forced holiday to me. I can give out candy to trick-or-treaters if I want to, but I don’t have to. There is no big family get together with pressure to make a huge meal for everyone. It is a holiday where you can simply do anything you want, and I like that.

How do you celebrate Halloween if at all?

I normally make it a month long affair. I watch one horror movie a day (sometimes that doesn’t always work out but I try), I decorate, go to haunted houses, buy a costume, etc. On actual Halloween I love to dress up, make fun food, greet trick-or-treaters, and watch Halloween.

What is your all time favorite scary movie?

The 1978 John Carpenter’s Halloween. It is hands down my favorite. Considering it is a slasher film, very few people die in it. The whole movie seems more about suspense and build up which is my favorite part of any horror movie.

What are some of the things you dressed up as for Halloween when you were a kid?

I wasn’t a princess sort of girl. I was a vampire several times, a witch, a black cat, a zombie, etc. I have always loved horror movies so if it was scary, I wanted to be it.

Tell us about your very first Halloween.

I don’t know that I remember my first Halloween. I remember going trick-or-treating. We lived in the country so my mom had to drive us to all the houses. It always seemed to be really cold on Halloween and we would have to wear coats over our costumes.

Were you ever the scary storyteller of the group or more the one to get scared?

Ha! As I am so often reminded by my friends who grew up with me, I used to scare them all silly with my stories. We would have sleepovers and it never failed my best friend and I would scare everyone silly and by 2 am you would have 20 little girls calling their moms to come and get them.

Thank you for your time with this interview, is there any more information about your works you'd like to share with us?

I will have a couple scary short stories coming out in two anthologies this fall. Check my blog for more details.
www.lizschulte.com



Read more: http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=interviews&action=display&thread=714#ixzz1as1zpfnL