Friday, October 7, 2011

HALLOWEEN INTERVIEW WITH RED TASH

"TERRIFYING TOMES" HALLOWEEN INTERVIEW SERIES (RED TASH)

[image] [image]


How did you first start writing and what were some of your inspirations?
I started writing when I was a child. I read voraciously, so my first inspirations were probably Madeleine L'Engle, Walter Farley, Katherine Paterson, and Richard Adams. As an adult, I lean more toward Stephen King, Holly Black, and Neil Gaiman.

Is horror/supernatural/paranormal/thriller the only genre you write in?

The Wizard Takes a Holiday is a contemporary fantasy, or a modern fairy tale. This Brilliant Darkness is a dark fantasy, sort of a horror/sci-fi mix. In my other life, I am a professional journalist.

What are some of your other books and where can we find them?

This Brilliant Darkness is my only other available book at the moment, and it's at Amazon, Smashwords, iBooks, and Barnes & Noble. All the links to purchase are here: http://redtash.com/ThisBrilliantDarkness

What is your favorite thing about Halloween?

Do I have to choose a favorite? I love it so much, I made it the birthday of my protagonist in This Brilliant Darkness. I love the weather, the dressing up, the parties, the pumpkin-carving, hot spiced apple cider, pumpkin lattes, the candy and goodies, the decorations--you name it! It kicks off the holiday season, for me, and I never got to experience that growing up, so I revel in it now.

How do you celebrate Halloween if at all?

We do a lot of trick or treating. This year I'll be dressing up as River Song from Dr. Who, and it's the first time I've been excited about a costume in a long time.

What is your all time favorite scary movie?

Even though I write pretty scary stuff at times, I'm not really into scary movies. A few years ago, though, a friend brought over a DVD collection of classic horror films--really, really old black & white ones--and we enjoyed watching that immensely. The House on Haunted Hill with Vincent Price was one we watched over and over again.

What are some of the things you dressed up as for Halloween when you were a kid?

When I was a kid, I was only allowed to go Trick or Treating twice, so I only remember two costumes. One was some kind of strange clown costume that my mother made out of dishrags that I wore to daycare (I am not making that up, I swear), and the other was a very cheap, garish Mickey Mouse costume when I was 8. I went along with wearing it, but I frankly hated it. I was just so excited to have the chance to Trick or Treat for once. Every other year, I was forced to stay home and answer the door for trick or treaters, to hand out the candy. When people would ask why I wasn't out trick or treating, myself, I would answer truthfully: "I'm not allowed." The parents would look sad, and walk away. True story! Is it any wonder I'm so excited about Halloween now? Heck, I'm even giving away a free Kindle this year, loaded with scary books! http://RedTash.com/bash

Tell us about your very first Halloween.

The first one where I actually had a really good time, I was about 12. My neighbor and I dressed up as punks (it was the 80s), complete with sparkly glitter cheeks and boombox, and we flounced around the neighborhood. It was one of the best nights of my childhood.

Were you ever the scary storyteller of the group or more the one to get scared?

Always the storyteller. One year I was in a Halloween play at the town square, and I played the role of the "goth" (before Goth was cool), and I got to scare everyone with my creepy story as part of the play. In real life, though, I can't even set foot in a haunted house. I have tried to several times, and end up running back out the way I came in, or hanging onto complete strangers for dear life! True story! LOL! When people learn this about me, they are shocked that I write horror, but the truth is, I have some very deep-seated fears to draw on, so writing scary stuff is easy.


Thank you for your time with this interview, is there anymore information about your works you'd like to share with us?

My next book is a YA dark fantasy called Troll or Derby, about fairies and trolls and roller derby, set in magical rural Indiana (like my other two works). It should be ready in early 2012. Right now I'm editing a collection of short stories set in a high fantasy world, by another writer. I'll be publishing that for him in the coming months, but it doesn't have a title yet. I'll have some non-fiction works under my real name next year, as well. If you're really into my writing, the best thing to do is join my email list by sending an email to RedTashBooks@gmail.com with the subject "email list." They're the hardcore fans who get my updates first.

Thanks for including me in your giveaway!

Red Tash
http://RedTash.com


Read more: http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=interviews&action=display&thread=667#ixzz1a7muwXPW