Saturday, October 8, 2011

HALLOWEEN INTERVIEW WITH S.L. DEARING

"TERRIFYING TOMES" HALLOWEEN INTERVIEW SERIES (S.L. DEARING)

[image] [image]


How did you first start writing and what were some of your inspirations?

Well, I started writing when I was very young. I wrote my first book (for my mother when I was 6), but I didn't start to really explore writing until I was in high school. I was writing a lot poetry and short stories. When I went to LACC (Los Angeles City College) I began writing screenplays and finally 9 years ago, I decided to write a novel. My inspirations... hmmm, Richard Matheson, Stephen King and Dean Koontz in terms of horror. Uh, Kresley Cole for romance... I guess I've been inspired by every book I've ever read, good and bad. My parents always encouraged to do what we love, so I just kept coming back to writing and this is really where I belong.

Is horror/supernatural/paranormal/thriller the only genre you write in?

I tend to write fantasy that contains elements of paranormal, romance, adventure, thriller, pretty much all genres... right now that's where I am in terms of the stories that comes to me. But I think my stories will always contain elements of as many genres as apply... although I would say my work is fantasy... I really like to say I just tell stories.

What are some of your other books and where can we find them?

Right now I have just the one book, but I'm working on several others including the next book in the Lia Fail Series.

What is your favorite thing about Halloween?

Hmmm, well, as a pagan it's the New Year, or End Year, so in that respect, it's a special time, but I suppose I love all of it. I love the American tradition and trick or treating and costumes. I love that there is scary everywhere, I love that scary movies are on all month in October. I love the superstition and apprehensiveness in the air as people try to not be frightened. I love being in Southern California and having Knott's Scary Farm and Disney's Trick or Treat right around the corner... I love it all.

How do you celebrate Halloween if at all?

I'm not a mom yet (although going back to you previous questions, that would probably be my favorite thing), so I used to go out with my niece (when she was little), now I usually watch scary movies with friends and enjoy the evening... I also have some private things I do... ; )

What is your all time favorite scary movie?

Oh, yeah, no way I can answer this... there are way too many movies I love... Halloween, H2O, Exorcist, Scream (all of them) Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Demons, Evil Dead... yeah, I could just keep going.

What are some of the things you dressed up as for Halloween when you were a kid?

Ooooo, my favorite was Black cat. I was a black cat like 5 times. I was an angel, a princess, a movie star, a horse. My mom made all my costumes.

Tell us about your very first Halloween.

Well, I don't really remember, but from what my mom says it went well.

Were you ever the scary storyteller of the group or more the one to get scared?

Oh yeah, i was the scary story teller. To this day my sister won't eat mayonnaise becasue of a ghost story I told her when she was 5... oh and she's still afraid of China dolls.

Thank you for your time with this interview, is there anymore information about your works you'd like to share with us?

Well, Thank you for having me. I just hope that everyone enjoys The Gathering. Happy Halloween everyone (Good Samhain)... be safe and have a wonderful time... and enjoy all these books... big winners. Thanks again, Kitty! :)


Read more: http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=interviews&thread=672#ixzz1aFFqy9Jk