Friday, October 21, 2011

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, NELY CAB

INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR OF "CREATURA" NELY CAB

[image] [image]


Thank you Nely for doing this interview with us. I noticed on your bio that you are not only a novelist but something of an artist as well. What kinds of drawings and paintings do you do?

First, I’d like to thank GMTA and its founder, Kitty, for this interview.

In answer to your question, yes, Kitty, apart from writing I do like to draw and paint. My art ranges from abstracts to realist paintings and drawings of object stills, people, animals and nature – such as the tree on the cover of my book. However, that type of art can get boring, so I like to change it up a bit at times and draw caricatures. Most recently, I’ve taken up the challenge of trying to draw Manga (Japanese style drawings used in graphic novels and anime films).

"Creatura" is destined to become a series, can you tell us what led you to decide to write "Creatura"?

I’m the type of person that likes to take on new challenges. “Creatura” started as a ten-page sample for myself, to explore my potential as a writer. In the beginning, there was no plot, but I thought I had a good start to a story. I decided I need a second pair of eyes, and so I handed it to my sister, who at the time was seventeen and a senior in high school. She insisted that I finish the narrative, and I agreed, thinking it would be no more than a short story. Never did I expect “Creatura” to evolve into a 99,905 word novel.

If your series were to be picked up for the screen, would you rather see it as a movie or television series and why?

That’s a hard question to answer. I would love to see my novel as a film because when I write, my story plays out in the form of a movie in my head.

On a side note, my readers would probably prefer the movie. They suggest the film idea over the television series often.

Do you have ideas for another series later on?

I’ve been toying with the idea of a prequel series, based off the secondary characters in “Creatura.”

What other genres have you thought about writing in?

I’ve often thought about writing children’s books and middle-grade books.

If you were told you could only choose one thing to do for the rest of your life what would it be and why?

The one thing that I would choose to do for the rest of my life would be to focus on checking off my Bucket List because it contains all the things I’d like to experience in this lifetime. Technically, focusing on checking off the Bucket List for the rest of my life is one thing; it just happens to entail a whole list of other things.

What does your family think of your writing?

My family is very supportive and excited that I write. They not only cheer me on, but actually pressure me to write more.

Going back to your artistic talents, did you design the cover for "Creatura"?

Yes, I did design the cover for “Creatura.”

At first sight, it’s just a tree. But if you look closely, you’ll notice that there are two young intertwined trees in the form of an infinity symbol or the number eight.

Symbolically, the trees represent a couple bound together for infinity or eternity, but there is a conflict represented in the form of the pomegranates. In Greek Mythology this is the fruit that Hades – having fallen in love – tricked Persephone into eating so that she would not be able to leave the underworld. Hence, it is a forbidden fruit.

What was the hardest part about writing "Creatura"?

The hardest part was giving the characters their own voices and personalities and keeping them as such through the book.

What is some advice you'd like to share with other authors?

My advice to authors and aspiring authors is to never be afraid to dream big. Dream awake, dream asleep, and then dream in words.

Kitty: Thank you so much for sharing your time with us, Nely!

Nely: On the contrary, Kitty, thank you for this opportunity to contribute to this wonderful community of authors, readers and bloggers. For more information about “Creatura,” please visit my website www.nelycab.com. Thanks, again!


Read more: http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=interviews&thread=739#ixzz1bSP17jIo