Wednesday, October 5, 2011

INTERVIEW WITH YA PARANORMAL AUTHOR, PARRISHA MARTELLY

INTERVIEW WITH PARRISHA MARTELLY, AUTHOR OF YA PARANORMAL NOVEL "FOX"

[image] [image]



After reading your bio on your site I realize that you are only 21, so very young! It seems you are very active as well with college and family, how did you find the time to write your novel?
I do have a very hectic life! I am a full-time college student, and I spent 4 years in college, and a year of high school, balancing a part-time job. I also have Crohn’s disease, so I was also writing in the midst of hospitalizations as well. My friends thought I was crazy when I told them I was writing a book!

Writing a novel when you have so much going on isn’t easy, but it is possible. Balance is key, and it’s important to find what works for you. For example, I knew that writing at a specific time each day was not feasible with my schedule. Instead, I set a word count deadline. By the time I went to sleep at night, my goal was to have written 3,500 words. Sometimes, I would get up at 4am to write, then head to school, then work, then get home and write again. I was a little sleep deprived for a while!

Tell us a little more about "Fox" and what drew you to the idea of the story.

Each year on January 1st, Pandora’s Box calls out to one corrupted individual on the planet and drives its victim to insanity until they find and open the box. If they don’t open it by January 1st of the next year, they die. Fox centers around a group called The House of Lords, whose job is to protect this artifact from the Chosen who seek to open it. In the story, this year’s Chosen has captured the Leader of The House of Lords, and his daughter, Fox, goes on a journey to find him.

I think what drew me into the story was the characters. When I first started writing them, I realized that I truly did care about what happened to them, and I wanted to make sure their story was told.

How old were you when you first realized you had a talent for writing?

Writing has always been important to me and I’ve always liked telling stories. I realized I might have had a talent for writing in the 7th grade. My teacher complimented a story I had written. I couldn’t believe I had written something that someone else enjoyed!

Are there other genre's you are interested in writing in, and if so what are they?

I would love to write an epic fantasy or a paranormal romance.

You are currently studying biology in college. Biology is an in depth study, has your college experience given you any thoughts about other subjects you may want to write about?

I don’t think the study of biology influenced the story directly, but I would say that my college experience did. I’ve learned a lot about human interaction and relationships while in college. I am fortunate to go to a very diverse university, and this diversity helped me to create characters that come from all walks of life and have different experiences.

Tell us a little about your family and how they feel about your writing?

I am lucky to have an amazing family that is completely supportive of my writing. My grandfather was a journalist, and I think I inherited his love of writing!

If you could choose only one genre to read or write in for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

I would definitely say speculative fiction. There is something great about being able to transport yourself to a completely different world filled with magic, powers, and mythical creatures.

What's next for you in writing? Do you have any ideas for a new book?

I’m currently working on book two of The Vendetta series. I am also writing a book based around a group of faeries.

Do you plan for "Fox" to be a series?

Fox is the first book in The Vendetta series, although I initially thought it would be a stand alone book.

Do you have any advice for other aspiring authors?

No matter how hard it seems sometimes, stick with it! Never let someone tell you that you can’t do it. If you have a story to tell to the world, tell it. Write everyday and make sure to read a lot. Be open to constructive criticism. Never forget why you started writing in the first place: because you enjoy it. :)