Thursday, October 6, 2011

"TERRIFYING TOMES" HALLOWEEN CONTEST INTERVIEW SERIES (SCOTT NICHOLSON)


[image] [image]


How did you first start writing and what were some of your inspirations?
I started with crayons and scratch paper, making little comic books. I always liked the crazy stuff of Dr. Seuss and of course read lots of superhero and spooky comics like a good All-American boy.

Is horror/supernatural/paranormal/thriller the only genre you write in?

No, I write all over the place. The only fiction I haven’t written is western and pure romance.

What are some of your other books and where can we find them?

My most popular scary books are The Red Church, Drummer Boy, Speed Dating with the Dead, and The Harvest, and I’ve also written a bunch of story collections. I’ve also written several with J.R. Rain. Many are available in paperback and you can find all of them in your favorite ebook store.

What is your favorite thing about Halloween?

Candy.

How do you celebrate Halloween if at all?

I have a daughter so I do what’s fun for her. We decorate the house but I don’t often dress up. To me, Halloween is a year-round holiday, not just that one excuse to wear a disguise.

What is your all time favorite scary movie?

It depends, but probably The Night of the Living Dead, because it takes horror seriously. I also like alienation horror like Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Thing.

What are some of the things you dressed up as for Halloween when you were a kid?

We were poor so we had to just grab rags and stuff, pirates, hoboes, Frankenstein monsters.

Tell us about your very first Halloween.

I can’t remember, but I do remember going around to houses all night long. We’d get three grocery bags full of candy and eat on it until Christmas.

Were you ever the scary storyteller of the group or more the one to get scared?

We didn’t tell ghost stories on Halloween, though my grandmother told Appalachian folk tales on the porch at night.

Thank you for your time with this interview, is there anymore information about your works you'd like to share with us?

You’re invited to follow “hauntedcomputer” on Facebook and Twitter, or drop by my blog. Thanks and have a Happy Halloween!