Wednesday, April 18, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, GLENN STARKEY

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF "SOLOMEN'S MEN", "YEAR OF THE RAM", AND "THE COBRA AND THE SCARAB"

[image]

Hello Glenn, thank you so much for the opportunity to interview you. After perusing your site I noticed that you have a well of information on there. What I found most interesting were the things that your readers may not know about you. You worked in the oilfields of Texas for 5 years. How did this come about?

When my son was born I was a police sergeant with a long list of training and experiences from law enforcement, the Marine Corps, and the U.S. State Department. In the years following the Vietnam war, Texas police salaries were quite low. To make a long story short, I was asked to work for an oil corporation. After weighing the factors of better salary for my family, the benefits, and potential for the future, I chose the oilfield. I’m glad I did though because 29 years later I retired from a global oil corporation as security manager of a refinery, chemical plant and its marine facilities. The experiences I obtained from everything have allowed me to infuse my novels with depths of reality drawn directly from life.

There are a lot of people that can say they earned a Black belt in Karate, but they can't all say they earned theirs in Japan much less learned the language. Tell us about this portion of your life and what exactly is Goju-Karate?

Earning my black-belt came after a long road traveled to accomplishment. I began my studies in America, but continued in Okinawa and for a short period with a South Korean “ROK” marine in Vietnam. While working at the American Embassy in Tokyo, Japan, a friend asked me to visit the dojo of Sensei Fusaaki Hattori, a quiet but prominent teacher. We did and after several visits, I formally requested to study under him. Although beginning at the very bottom as one of his students, my past trainings assisted me in moving through the ranks to Shodan, the first degree in black-belts. I could probably write an entire novel on that period in my life and am grateful for the life experiences I underwent. To this day I still write my teacher and hold the utmost respect for him.

One thing I have to ask as well, did your hatred of ships and being out to sea come after or before you served in the Marines?

I have a strong dislike but not a hatred for being at sea. I discovered the full extent of it while serving in the Marines. My battalion had its six months long Mediterranean tour of duty aboard ship at the time (a Marine Expeditionary Unit battalion is always there ready to respond as ordered by the President to ‘problems’.) During our tour (early 70’s) the President ordered us to evacuate Americans held hostage in Lebanon.

On to your wonderful books! Tell us more about your novels, where we can find them and some of the inspiration behind them.

I have three novels; "Solomon’s Men", "Year of the Ram", and "The Cobra and Scarab: A Novel of Ancient Egypt" published in softcover, hardbound, and eBook formats. They are available on Amazon, B&N, iTunes, Sony, and more. I’ve also found them selling internationally as well.

Each of my novels is different from the other. While Solomon’s Men is about a professional thief who unknowingly has stolen the true burial shroud of Jesus and finds himself hunted by mercenaries wanting its retrieval, Year of the Ram is about a Mongol General who during time of war discovers a son he never knew was born to him and must risk losing him once more. The Cobra and Scarab: A Novel of Ancient Egypt is based upon the true story of the beautiful Egyptian queen Hatshepsut stealing the kingship from her stepson, Thutmose III, and their bitter conflict.

The inspiration for these novels comes from my love of history, a lot of thought and long hours of research.

Who are some of your greatest author influences?

Nicholas Guild, author of "The Assyrian" and "The Blood Star", Robert R. McCammon, author of "The Wolf’s Hour", Wilbur Smith, author of "The River God", and David Morrell, author of "First Blood", are a few of the authors I believe have been contributing influences to my writing style.

What genres excite you most when you have time to read?

I believe a well-written historical fiction book holds my greatest interest, and a good paranormal book with a factual basis runs a tight second for capturing my attention.

What can we expect next from you?

My next novel will be Amazon Moon, a science-fiction based novel. I’ve never written a sci-fi oriented book and want to challenge myself with its development. In it you will follow a man through difficult periods of life, his release from prison to work for the government due to his special talents, and the events which occur that force him into battle with his own realities.

If all goes well, I hope to have it completed by end of the year and bring it out first in eBook format then softcover.

If there was any other genre you would consider writing in what would it be and why?

That is a good question and one for which I do not have a solid answer. I was once told that a good writer should be able to write the description of bubble gum on a wrapper and make it worth reading. So I am of the belief that a true writer should be able to write in any genre. As for a different genre other than action adventure and historical fiction, I would probably choose some form of paranormal.

Do you have any advice you would care to share with other authors?

Study the craft by reading a spectrum of books.
You learn by reading all types of genres, not simply the genre you’ve chosen to write.
Be honest with yourself about your writing skills and abilities.
Be original when you write.
Develop your own style of writing.
Don’t try to quickly write a book based on what the latest fad is at the movies.
Don’t quickly write a book then dump it into an ebook without proper editing and honest, pre-release evaluations.

Please leave us your links so we can get to know more about you and your works!

Glenn Starkey Website: http://GlennStarkey.net
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/GlennStarkeyAuthor
Twitter: http://www.Twitter.com/GStarkeyBooks
GoodReads: http://www.Goodreads.com/GlennStarkey
Amazon Author Page: https://www.Amazon.com/author/glennstarkey

Thank you again Glenn for taking the time to allow us this interview. We look forward to hearing more from you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment