Wednesday, April 25, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, LEA RYAN

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF "LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM" LEA RYAN

[image] [image]

Hello Lea, thank you so much for allowing us to interview you. When were you first drawn to the paranormal and what was your main inspiration for writing in this genre?

Hi, Kitty! I’ve always been into sort of weird stuff. I grew up watching Twilight Zone reruns, X-Files, Tales from the Crypt and similar strangeness. The paranormal is always more interesting to me. So much can happen to people in situations where reality has been altered in some way. I try to write stories that I would want to read.

You also have two fantasy novels, tell us more about those.

I do! Babylon Dragon was the first book I published. I pulled my antagonist from the Enuma Elish, which is the Babylonian creation myth. I spent four years writing and rewriting but I was really in love with that story, as strange as it is. The story is about daemon who wants to tear away the boundaries between the planes of existence: the mortal world, Purgatory, and Heaven. A warrior on the second plane (Purgatory) is tasked with dealing with the daemon. It’s a very complex story, probably a little too complex. Lol.

My second novel, Destined for Darkness, is a paranormal romance about a girl who inherits her grandmother’s Victorian Mansion. She starts out very much alone, but her world is quickly filled with people (including a love interest) and animals. She discovers she’s descended from witches who deal in destiny called ‘Fates’. She is one of them and has to figure out who she’s going to be and how she’ll deal with problems when pretty much any option is on the table.

That book is part one of a trilogy. The second installment, Devil in the Branch, is scheduled for release this coming summer.

Your current novel is "The Lair of the White Wyrm" tell us about the inspiration behind this novel.

Lair of the White Wyrm was inspired by Bram Stoker’s final novel. There are parts of the original book that I love. It’s a very dark story with interesting characters, each of them with their own distinct motivations. The proximity of the worm was very close to the rest of the people in the story. She didn’t just hunt victims in the dead of night. She was present and interacting with the people who lived around her. She was driven by some very human desires.

Do you have any authors that have inspired you over the years?

I have several writers that I think of as role models. I try to learn from their example. I read a lot of old fiction. Poe is probably my favorite. I love Lovecraft and Stoker, of course.

As far as modern writers, Stephen King , Dean Koontz and Anne Rice are my faves. They’re all genius. I’ve been reading James Patterson and Janet Evanovich in the last couple of years too, not exactly Shakespeare, but their stories are very entertaining.

Are there any other genres you have thought about writing in?

I told my husband the other day that I would love to write something like Indiana Jones. When I was a kid, I wanted to be an archaeologist, so I guess writing that type of story would kind of fulfill that dream in a roundabout way. I think that’s considered the action/adventure genre.

Do you allow your husband to critique your work?

I think he would critique my work whether I wanted him to or not. He doesn’t bring too much criticism. Usually he only lets me know if he finds a typo.

You also enjoy blogging about movies, tell us about some of your favorite movies to date.

Oh my gosh. So many movies! We watch one almost every weekend, usually on DVD, then the review goes up on the blog on Monday evening. Some recent standouts off the top of my head: The Expendables, Red, Insidious. Wicked Little Things was interesting. That’s a horror movie that stars a very young and adorable Chloe Moretz. I’m also really fond of Death Race. And The Hangover 2 was crazy. We don’t usually go for highbrow “grownup” movies. I want to be entertained.

Do you already have ideas for another novel? If so can you tell us about them?

Oh, yes. I have many book ideas. I had to start a binder to hold my notes. My next book involves a fallen angel and a cult and other weirdness. I’m actually very excited about that project. Holding off on the writing has been difficult. I just keep writing out notes. By the time I really start writing, it will probably be the most well-planned novel ever.

Do you have any advice you'd care to share with other authors?

Be relentless. Never let anyone discourage you. Never stop trying to be better. Write stories you would be excited to read.

Please leave us your links so we can get to know more about you and your works!

My website with all of my book info is http://www.LeaRyan.com . It has book trailers, extra content for a couple of the books, excerpts, illustrations, etc. There’s a ton of stuff on there, including links to a couple of free ebooks.

I usually post on the blog a few times a week. http://Lea-Ryan.blogspot.com
--------

Lair of the White Wyrm

By Lea Ryan

Sometimes when you run from your problems, they follow you.
Eric Duncan wants nothing more than to be an ordinary, sane guy. He believes he can escape his troubled past by leaving home. However, the voice in his head, that of his dead friend Benjamin, fights him every step of the way.

Eric finds his new home is a place filled with secrets far darker than his own. A monster prowls the grounds, and it wants to keep him close.

He will discover that his inner demons aren’t the only things he should fear. In order to confront the wyrm and survive, he must also face the worst parts of himself.

Available on:

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lair-White-Wyrm-eb....29868137&sr=8-1
Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/134968
Limited Print Edition on Lulu: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/lair-of-the-white-wyrm/18905414

1 comment: