Saturday, April 14, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, M.C. MOULTON

NTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF "ARCANUM" M.C. MOULTON


[image]


Hello Cody, it's an honor to interview you. I must admit that you are one hard person to find information on! Tell us about your most recent title and where we can find it.

I'm trying to give J.D. Salinger a run for his money in the recluse department. How'm I doin'? Next up is to get my book banned, because I know if it gets banned, that means everyone will read it.

As for the book itself, it's titled Arcanum, and it's the first in my series of YA light fantasy novels. There's also a touch of sci-fi in there as well, not to mention a whole slew of modern and pop-culture references. Who'd have thought Michael Jackson and Cyclops mingled so well? On the whole it's actually pretty difficult to describe or nail down with a specific genre label. I'd say it's a cross between Lord of the Rings and Family Guy, if that makes any sort of sense. I know that's kind of an ambiguous way to describe it, but it's really something all its own. Once people read it though they always say it totally makes sense. Since there are so many jokes/references/allusions/homages that are slipped in there everyone seems to catch or identify with something different, and I've been told that upon rereading the book people find new things they completely skipped over or didn't understand the first time. The characters really seem to have a problem with the fourth wall. In saying that though I don't want anyone to think it's all sunshine and rainbows--there are some pretty deep, emotional, and tragic things going on as well.

Right now it's available in multiple ebook formats and in paperback from Amazon. A hardcover edition might be coming down the pipeline around the time the sequel is released. My website links directly to all the different formats and vendors. www.arcanumbook.com

Check it out and hope you enjoy!

When did you realize you had a love for writing?

About the time I realized I wasn't very good at anything else. I'd say it's less a "love for writing" and more a "love for telling stories". To be quite honest, I don't believe that I'm that good of a writer (Probably something I shouldn't say, huh?), but I think I've always been very good at telling stories. I always loved acting and theatre. Performing in front of people always gave me great joy. For me writing is just another medium for telling a story, much like TV, movies, stage plays, etc., but unlike those I have absolute control over everything that takes place on the page. That means I can weave a story, plant clues, and divulge the exact amount I want too and not have to worry about anyone else mucking it up.

What is your most favorite genre to read when not writing?

I'm very fond of light fantasy. Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer is one of my absolute favorite series. Harry Potter of course too (At least up until the sixth book anyway since I was always aboard the HMS Pumpkin Pie and HBP put a hole through its hull).

I also, and this is going to make a lot of people reading this cringe, rather enjoy fan-fiction. I'm not talking insert yourself into Forks and make Edward fall in love with you, but rather the well thought out stories with canon characters. Not that Mary Sue's are bad by any means but I think some of the poor ones shine a bad light on fanfiction as a whole, and some really good stories by unknowns go completely unnoticed because of it. To me emulation is the greatest form of flattery. I suppose I should make it known now, since it seems to always cause such a big hoopla for authors, I have no problem with fan-fiction and, in fact, would love to read about the crazy trouble my characters get into out of canon. And for all you slash writers out there who haven't read it yet, two of the main characters are very pretty boys. Did I just dig myself into a hole? What was the question?

Tell us a bit about your family and if you allow them to critique your work.

Aside from my fiancée the only family member I allowed to read my rough drafts was my father, but since we live apart even that was sort of difficult. Instead of family I had a lot of close friends read it. See, the problem with family is they're obligated to tell you they like it, they love it, they want some more of it, despite if it's actually any good or not. Acquaintances do that too, but real friends will tell you how bad it sucks and then get mad that they don't have a character in the book. That's the kind of feedback you can rely on, because if they're actually forced to say they enjoyed it (and trust me, real friends will find absolutely anything to hate about something) you know you probably did something right.

What is a typical day in the life of Cody like?

Wake up at noon - LIKE A BOSS!
Hate sunlight - LIKE A BOSS!
Pour Fruity Pebbles - LIKE A BOSS!
Out of milk - LIKE A BOSS!
Grumble some - LIKE A BOSS!
Try to work - LIKE A BOSS!
Get bored - LIKE A BOSS!
Play some games - LIKE A BOSS!
Grocery Shopping - LIKE A BOSS!
Penny Pinching - LIKE A BOSS!
Fill up on gas - LIKE A BOSS!
Buy a Nutty Bar - LIKE A BOSS!
Get Fat - LIKE A BOSS!
Cry inside - LIKE A BOSS!
Cry outside - LIKE A BOSS!
Hit the bottle - LIKE A BOSS!
Pass out in the yard - LIKE A BOSS!

What can we expect from you in the future?

I've heard that expectations can lead to crushed hopes and dreams.

With that said, Arcanum is going to be a 5 book series with a 6th planned prequel. There are a few other non-Arcanum related ideas floating around in my head as well but I'm not going to give away anything just yet. I just hope that for those who enjoy the book that I can continue to deliver the same enjoyment and experience with each progressive sequel. If everything goes as planned the sequel to Arcanum should come out sometime around the end of 2012.

Also, for those unaware each of the 4 main characters of Arcanum has a Facebook page which are updated as the characters themselves. I think this not only gives people a unique experience in being able to connect with the characters outside of the book, but it also gives me the chance to always be adding to the Arcanum universe. I know how hard it can be to wait for the sequel to something you really love to come out, and this way maybe the wait isn't so bad. Although sometimes the updates can be scarce, I do plan to keep them going as long as it's relevant to the books.

Where would you like to see yourself in 10 years as far as your writing goes?

I've never been one to look to the future. I'm very much a "here and now" kind of guy. I'd like to be done with the core 6 Arcanum books and hopefully a few other non-related ones as well. Who knows what the future will bring. One thing I can say for sure though is that I definitely want to get a new office chair for my computer because this one kind of hurts my back. That I can say with 100% certainty.

What do you think the most important aspect of writing is?

Voice. I'm sure a lot of people will say story/plot, characters, or some intangible idea of being "touched" on some level by the depth or meaning behind the words.

The truth is though that a good storyteller can make even the most mundane and boring story feel magical. I think when people are presented with characters, speech, worlds, ideas, theories, or even words that they are unfamiliar with it tends to make them defensive and ultimately results in them feeling distanced from what's happening on the page. It's my hope that when people read my work that it's less them reading a book and more them being right there with the characters and along for the ride. I want people to identify with what's going on and be like, "That's what I would have done!" or "That's something my friend would have TOTALLY said" because then they can relate. My Fiancée is a Library Director and all too many times I've heard her say "I don't really know if I like this book" and then go on to debate whether she wants to finish reading it. I don't want anyone to ever feel that way. I want people to be so enthralled with what's going on and feel that they're just as much a part of the story as anything else, and that putting the book down would be like closing the book on themselves. I know that is a lot to ask for and I'm well aware that there will be people who despise everything I write for one reason or another, but ultimately that's my goal and readers can always expect that from me. I want everyone to know that I'm my own worst critic (No really, everytime I write something I look at it and think "This is just awful") The day one of my books bores someone to death is the day I'll stop writing.

Tell us more about you.

I've already rambled so much already. I live and breathe video games. Arc and Rose can be found playing on Xbox Live quite often. Feel free to say hi if you ever bump into them. I'm also rather fond of anime, D&D, Star Wars, and just about anything else you can nerd all over. I like to keep to myself and frankly I don't think people really care to know much else about me so I'll leave it at that. Oh, and brohoof too all my bronies out there.

Do you have any advice you'd care to share with other authors? Please leave us your links so we can get to know more about you and your works!

Everyone always gives the generic and cliché write what you know, write from the heart, yada yada BS. That's all fine and dandy but I don't think it's helpful, so I'll leave authors with this: SAVE SAVE and SAVE AGAIN! Seriously, back up your work on flashdrives, emails, whatever. Ctrl+s like your life depended on it. There's nothing worse than writing something you just love only to lose it to a power outage. I make a separate backup every time I finish writing a chapter. That's advice you can take to the bank.

Once again the links to all forms of Arcanum, as well as links to the characters Facebook pages can all be found at my website: www.arcanumbook.com

For anyone that doesn't wish (or is too cheap) to purchase a copy it is also available to public libraries everywhere so go down and request they order it if they don't have a copy. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks to everyone who actually read through all my ranting and raving! Leave your name and number and Celeste will send you a free huggle just as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment