Wednesday, May 9, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, GILES PALEY PHILLIPS

INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR OF "THE FEARSOME BEASTIE", GILES PALEY PHILLIPS



Hello Giles! It is so wonderful to have this opportunity to interview you. So you are English born and bred. Tell us a bit about living in England and what you like best about it.

Well I live right on the south coast, which is a beautiful part of the country, and a perfect place to bring up my young family

How was it that you got into writing and what turned you toward writing for children?

When my first son was born, I really wanted to write something for him, but I couldn't get the right style or voice, until I came across 'A Light in the Attic' by Shel Silverstein, in a charity store, it totally open my eyes, and I wrote my first manuscript that day.

Tell us more about your current book "The Fearsome Beastie" and the idea behind it.

The fearsome beastie is searching for something to eat and the children are at the top of the menu, but then Gran comes to save the day! My children love playing at being monsters, and I grew up reading Grimm Brothers stories and so I wanted to write something a bit darker, but something that my children would engage with.

What do you have coming out in the near future and where will we be able to find them?

In September this year I will have my next picture book out, it's called 'Tamara Small and the Monster's Ball' it's another dark monstrous book!!

Tell us about Maverick Books and how it all began.

I sent them a few manuscripts and they like them, and I went for a meeting with them, and we all clicked, and they really like The Fearsome Beastie, it was the one that stood out for them, and they are a publisher that likes to take a risk on slightly alternative children's books, which is fantastic, and they are an awesome bunch to work with.

Do you allow your wife and sons to read your work before it's published?

Yeah they get bombarded with readings!

Who are some of your favorite children's authors and book that you've read in the past.

I love Shel Silverstein, Roald Dahl, Hilaire Belloc, Robert Neubeker and Edward Gorey

You have also worked to help raise awareness and money for Leukaemia Research which is brilliant. Do you have information you could share on how other authors could potentially become involved?

My first book 'There's a lion in my Bathroom' had proceeds to going to Leukaemia Research, as my mum died of the disease when I was 6.

for the last year though I have been heavily involved with a Charity called FSW Family Support Work, who are local to me and work with families dealing with social problems, I'm a patron and also involved as a PR officer

Who are some of the other authors at Maverick that our readers may be interested in?

All the books Maverick have put out are great, Mrs Macready, Sparkles Song, Goblin and The girl and the dog detectives, they are all fantastic.

Do you have any advice you'd like to share with other authors, or in general that you think would be beneficial to our readers? Also we'd love you to share your links and let us know where we can find out more about you.

Just believe in your work and what your doing and don't give up, you only need one yes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment