Friday, May 25, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, LIZ BOTTS

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF "IN THE SPOTLIGHT" LIZ BOTTS



Hello Liz! It is so wonderful to have this opportunity to interview you. So you were a Barbie girl! do you still find that nostalgia that you had as a child when you see the commercials or see them on the shelves in stores?

I think that the sight of Barbies always brings to mind the elaborate games that my friends and I used to create with our dolls. One of our games is the basis for a young adult book I have coming out in August. One of my favorite Barbies survived in my memory box. Maybe someday my little girl will want to play with it. Or maybe one of my sons.

Playing with Barbies and other dolls gave me a sense of how to construct characters and a story. Obviously the characters and stories that I create now are more complex, but I think you get the gist of what I'm saying.

It seems your writing really began in high school, do you still have any of the creations from that time?

I did take a creative writing class in high school, and I still have some of those stories. One of them still makes me giggle, although I do cringe at the cliches I employed.

Out of the books you've written so far which is your favorite and why?

In the Spotlight. There's just something about Josh and Hannah that always makes me melt a little. I had so much fun writing Hannah. And Josh is just a nice guy. Besides that creating the grandma character made for some good laughs.

When not writing, or being a mom, what do you do to relax and just have some down time?

I love to read. I'll read anything, and I'm usually reading three or four things at a time. (Well, not at exactly the same moment.) I also like being outside doing whatever. I'm reall thrilled that the warm weather has finally returned.

Who are some of your favorite inspirations authors or otherwise?

I think I have a weird list of people who inspire me. People who inspire me with great ideas or music or art include: Bach, Kandinsky, Abraham Lincoln. Authors that have inspired me include: Mark Twain, Isabel Allende, and Rosemary Clement-Moore.

If you could meet one person, dead or alive who would it be and why?

Laura Ingalls Wilder. Mainly because I wanted to be her when I was a child. I wanted to live on the prairie in a log cabin with a bull dog. After she lived an incredible life she wrote about it. She fictionalized parts of her life and created an enduring series that really is in a genre of its' own. Incidentally her best book is Farmer Boy about her husband Almanzo. She could have had a fantastic career as a fiction author.

I'm going to put you on the spot now and have a bit of fun. Create two characters in your mind, and write a first paragraph about them.

"Lie to me."

I stared at my boyfriend in disbelief. "What are you talking about?"

Cody ran a hand through his short brown hair, then gestured at me. "If this is about what I think it's about, I don't even want to know."

"What's wrong with you?" I asked. A quick glance down at my attire didn't show me anything amiss. My pajama pants were a little wrinkled and my hoodie had a tiny stain near the big front pocket, but I looked pretty normal in my opinion.

"Megan, I know you came over here to tell me something important." Cody made air quotes with his fingers. His mouth was twisted in a frown.

I shook my head. "I still don't know what you're talking about."

He paced away from me, walking into his darkend living room. I stayed in the too bright entryway, every few seconds I cast a glance at the stairs hoping that his parents wouldn't come down. When he turned toward me, I swore I saw tears shining in his eyes. But that was impossible. Cody James never cried.

"Tell me anything else," he said, his voice cracking. "I know what I've heard, and I don't want to hear it from you. Tell me you need your space. Tell me I'm too much of a mess for you. Just tell me a lie."

I stared at him in disbelief. What had he heard? What did he think I was doing here at one in the morning? Then it dawned on me. I narrowed my eyes. "I'm not here to break up with you, you idiot."

What other genres have you thought about writing in if any?

In addition to young adult I also write adult contemporary romance. I'd like to try my hand at historical and maybe paranormal. We'll see.

Is there one piece of advice you have been given in life that has defined you as the person your are today in some way?

The best piece of advice I have been given is "Check your ego at the door."

Do you have any advice you'd like to share with other authors, or in general that you think would be beneficial to our readers? Also we'd love you to share your links and let us know where we can find out more about you.

Check your ego at the door. Listen to what editors and others have to say. Read reviews of your work with an open mind--even the negative ones. Keep striving to write a better story. And in the end, just write.

You can find out more about me and my books at www.lizbotts.com.

Thanks so much for having me!

Thank you again Liz for this wonderful interview. We hope to do this again in the near future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment