Thursday, May 10, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, PAVARTI K. TYLER

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF "SHADOW ON THE WALL", PAVARTI K. TYLER





Hello Pavarti! It is so wonderful to have this opportunity to interview you. Now you are not only a writer but an artist as well. Do you have a site where we can see your art, and how did your love for art begin?

Hi! Thanks so much for having me. It's such an awesome thing, the way authors are able to interact with their readers these days. I'm not a visual artist, I'm more an artist in the sense that I've never managed to stay away from art for long. Be it writing, directing or just surrounding myself with beautiful things. Art is one of the essential pieces that make us human.

Tell us about your current novel and what you have planned for the near future.

Shadow on the Wall is my current release and is Available on Amazon.com. Shadow is a Muslim Superhero story, which I originally started writing as part of a dare from a friend. After the first 12,000 words or so I realised I was far from done. It's been a real challenge to write not only from the perspective of another culture but also another religion. I've tried to be authentic and as accurate as possible. Hopefully, you'll enjoy reading it and maybe feel closer to a group of people you may not have known much about before.

Coming up I have more of Two Moons of Sera, my serial novel, an erotica piece called Echoes of Love, and DEVOUR a horror novel. Oh and Prisoner's of the Wind (The SandStorm Chronicles #2). There's also another little something percolating, but I'm not ready to give much away about that yet

You also have a love for the theater and actually gained a degree in Theatre at Smith College in '99. Do you still enjoy theater the same and have you had inspiration to see your novels become plays or films?

Wow, you did your research huh? Yes, my degree was in theatre, primarily directing and dramaturgy. I still love the magic of the theatre and there's nothing quite like the sense of expectation that passes over the audience when the lights dim at the beginning of a show. I don't participate any more, too many years in commercial theatre kind of ruined the allure of backstage for me, but I'll always attend. I think Shadow would be a really cool movie! That would be awesome.

You also do some accounting, do you have a love for math or is this just something you do when not writing?

I'm actually not much of a math person. I can't add to save my life. I'm good at theoretical math and application of the law. Tax Accounting actually has very little math in it these days. I love what I do in my "real life" and even if I could be a full time writer I wouldn't give it up completely. There's a part of my personality that needs right answers. Column A equals Column B, and that just doesn't happen in publishing!

Tell us more about your family and the inspiration they provide for your talents as a writer.

My family are the coolest craziest people around. I'm married to the sexy and hysterical Buck Boom who was a one night stand I had too much fun with to let go of. We have two ridiculous and terrible children: Ninja and Bunny. They are in elementary school and everyday they learn something new and come home to tell me all about their adventures. They are inspirational in Ninja's imagination and Bunny's energy. We also have two untrained dogs who dig up my back yard and bark too much. I wouldn't trade any of their chaos for anything. They keep me sane and laughing.

Who are some of your favorite authors?

Anais Nin, Haruki Murikami, Vikram Seth, Margaret Atwood, Octavia Butler, Homer...

Do you allow family and friends to critique your work before publishing?

Oh my yes, if I didn't it would be a hot mess of misspelled words and passive verbs! Shadow went through 9 drafts. 3 BETA readers, 2 crit partners and then professionally edited by Jessica Swift at Swift Ink Editorial. I've been blessed that none of them have minded devoting their time and energy to my project.

Tell us about Fighting Monkey Press and how it was founded.

Fighting Monkey was originally set up as a production house when I worked on Broadway. I wasn't allowed to hire my husband due to union rules, but I could hire a production company that he worked for, and so Fighting Monkey Productions was born. That was in 1999. It has since evolved into Fighting Monkey Financial Services, Fighting Monkey Technology and now Fighting Monkey Press. Really Fighting Monkey is kind of like the house wine, if there's a job we can do, we do it under that heading. Someday I'd love to bring in other authors and grow the publishing side of the business, but right now I'm just focusing on my titles.

Do you have any advice you'd like to share with other authors, or in general that you think would be beneficial to our readers? Also we'd love you to share your links and let us know where we can find out more about you.

Surround yourself with people you respect and who respect you.

My blog is all ages: http://pavarti.com/
My tumblr is 18+ only: http://pavartidevi.tumblr.com/
My Fan Page needs your likes: https://www.facebook.com/#!/FMPress
My Twitter likes friends: http://twitter.com/#!/PavartiKTyler
My Serial Novel: http://tinyurl.com/77py2a8
My Novella: http://tinyurl.com/7s2ux9g
My Muslim Superhero Lit Fic can be pre-ordered now: http://tinyurl.com/75rbhwp
My Google+ is random: https://plus.google.com/?gpinv=JFSV...3NCJW8#me/posts


Thank you again Pavarti for this wonderful interview. We hope to do this again in the near future!

Thanks to you too! Great questions and a lot of fun to get to be on your site!



EXCERPTS FROM THE NOVEL "SHADOW ON THE WALL"

Excerpt #1

Recai walked for what seemed like miles, resisting the instinct to second-guess his direction. The sand moved between his toes but soon he found his footing, and his body responded to the landscape as if from some genetic memory. He remembered his father’s words from a trip he took to the Oman desert as a child: Never take your shoes off; the sand will eat away at your feet. Recai had done it anyway, then and now, feeling more in control with that connection to the ground, its movements speaking to his flesh directly.
His father had always been full of surprises: one moment the strict disciplinarian, the next, he would wake Recai in the middle of the night to see a falling star. Recai had never had the chance to get to know him as an adult. Instead, he lived with the enigmatic memory of a great man lost.

Recai stood in the middle of the desert—every direction would eventually lead to Elih or one of the smaller villages scattered around the city. But who would take in a stranger? A stranger with a Hugo Boss turban and a bruised and bloodied face? In’shallah, he would be delivered to safety.

Excerpt #2

Knock. Just one solid sound.

Recai sat up too quickly and fell back against his mattress gasping as Rebekah stuck her head into his small room, her face creased with worry and fear.

“Cover yourself and stay silent,” she whispered before closing the door and rushing back into the living room to retrieve her burqa and open the door. Recai heard the movement of the heavy fabric she wore on top of her house dress as she moved across the room to greet their visitor. He wondered if she had retrieved her father’s gun which he’d overheard Hasad say was under the couch in the living room.

Before hiding beneath the thin sheet that covered him, he reached down and pulled the rug from the floor and threw it across his legs. He covered his head and melted against the wall with the pillow on top of his upper body. Feeling foolish, Recai laid there, wishing he had his ID, his phone, anything to help bribe his way out of this situation if it was indeed the RTK at the door.

Perhaps it’s just a neighbor, he thought. A neighbor come to ask after Rebekah’s father’s health or to borrow some salt. His attempt at rationalizing the unexpected visit did not quell his fears. The RTK made a habit of performing home inspections, especially if they suspected a woman alone. It wasn’t a safe time for anyone under the jurisdiction of Mayor Yilmaz.

Excerpt #3

A man. A voice. Darkness tangled her thoughts with fear and childhood warnings.

Sabiha, you shouldn’t be walking alone, she’d heard it say.
Stupidity had made her rash; selfish concerns about her brother caused her to make the worst possible mistake—the kind of mistake that would make her wish she had died, if by any chance she managed to survive.

The low voice knew her name, knew her family name—it had come specifically for her.

She ignored its call, quickening her pace. A laugh broke out in the night, mocking her fear. Suddenly the owner of the voice grabbed her, turning her around to face him.

Refusing to meet the voice’s gaze, Sabiha fixed her eyes forward. Her gaze came to rest on his arm where she saw the outline of a tattoo, dark and menacing. A snake’s tail circled his bicep and disappeared behind his back, only to reveal itself on the other side of his neck with two onyx eyes staring at her, unblinking.

AUTHOR BIO:



Pavarti K Tyler is an artist, wife, mother and number cruncher. She graduated Smith College in 1999 with a degree in Theatre. After graduation, she moved to New York, where she worked as a Dramaturge, Assistant Director and Production Manager on productions both on and off Broadway.

Later, Pavarti went to work in the finance industry as a freelance accountant for several international law firms. She now operates her own accounting firm in the Washington DC area, where she lives with her husband, two daughters and two terrible dogs. When not preparing taxes, she is hard at work as the Director of Publicity at Novel Publicity and penning her next novel.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me today! It was a lot of fun to reread the interview :) I hope your readers enjoy getting to know Shadow on the Wall!
    Pav

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great interview. Reading about all the upcoming projects just makes me simply giddy and impatient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks TTL :) I'll make sure to let you know when new projects are up and running!
    Pav

    ReplyDelete