Sunday, May 20, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, TARA FOX HALL

INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR OF "LASH" AND OTHER WORKS, TARA FOX HALL



Hello Tara! It is so wonderful to have this opportunity to interview you. You seem to be an author that loves to write in more than one genre, if you were ever pinned down to one what would it be and why?

You would have to start with a hard question  I would probably choose romantic suspense, with paranormal leanings. I can’t see myself writing horror without sometimes delving into romance, or alternately writing just straight romance, either. And while I enjoy a lot of contemporary stories, romantic suspense, action, and other, I like a paranormal aspect to my stories, that there is some “other world” beyond a character’s physical world that is able to touch their lives, influencing them in many ways.

You are also an OSHA safety inspector, have you ever had to shut a place down due to regulation problems?

Happily, no. My job is promoting and managing the safety programs at a metal fabrication shop. I have to make sure that my company is following all applicable regulations, so that WE don’t get shut down. I’m certified by OSHA, in that I took several courses to train me on the different regulations that would apply to my company, so I could better do my job. 

Tell us how you relax before writing and what is your usual process for writing.

To really sit down and get a lot written, I have to disconnect from the internet and email, and usually go in a quiet room with just some background noise, like a fan, to mute out sounds like the phone. I can work on short stories almost anywhere, and if I’m working on a novel, I can write a scene almost anywhere (I once did one in a doctor’s waiting room). The best times to write for me is usually early in the morning, or late at night. If I just had a nightmare, instead of jotting down notes, sometimes I write the story down, at least the outline, right then and there in the middle of the night. I can’t afford to miss any inspiration!

Who are some of your inspirations, authors or otherwise?

I read many, many authors over the years, horror, action, romantic suspense, and otherwise. I think the scariest novel I ever read was Dan Simmons Summer of Night. I’ve reread it at least 5 times already, and plan to reread it again. I also like Tolkien. I’ve read his The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings at least 3-4 times. I grew up watching the animated versions, which made me want to read the books. 

Do you find that your work and other things in life inspire you as well, if so what are they?

You might have seen before that I write down my nightmares and use them for story ideas. But I can get inspired by almost anything. I am inspired by almost everything around me. I can see names of people online by accident, and because they catch my eye, I jot them down and they end up in stories. Sometimes I just witness a verbal exchange, or something else that makes an impression on me, and my imagination takes that and twists it a little, questioning, “What if—?” 

For example, a large part of the inspiration for Lash’s personality came from old gangster movies from the 30s and 40s that depicted the Roaring 20s. I was also watching the first version of The Karate Kid the day I wrote the book outline, which inspired part of the plot (the racism Lash experiences, his not having a father around in his youth, and his later training to be an assassin with the man called “Master”). I travelled to both The Everglades and New Orleans years ago, so much description of scenery and The French Quarter is from my memories of those weeks. Valerian’s plantation house is loosely based on Oak Alley, a real plantation outside Baton Rouge where the movie Interview with the Vampire was shot. 

If you could meet one person, dead or alive, who would they be and why?

I would like to meet James Cagney, an actor who is deceased. He was very popular in the 30’s (The Public Enemy was his breakout movie). From what I’ve read and seen of his many movies he sounds like he would be a riot to talk to. I’d love to pick his brain regarding fight scenes, as he did many of his own. He was also intelligent, advocating for his fellow actors and himself, and very loyal to his family. He was happiest on his farm here in the Northeast, just like I am. And he’s sexy as hell. What’s not to like?

Tell us about your upcoming novels and when and where we can find them.

My paranormal action-adventure novel Lash published in mid-April 2012 from Bradley Publishing, and the Amazon link is here:http://www.amazon.com/Lash-ebook/dp/B007UJ6KGC

Here is the Blurb: Scarred from a childhood spent in perpetual indigence after being forced from their home in the Everglades, weresnake Trystan Valeras and his family make their way to the Case Hotel. When his wealthy gangster father arrives the summer he turns sixteen, Trystan’s dream of a better life, along with the lovely aristocrat Mara, is suddenly within his grasp. Instead of paradise, a series of devastating events unfold, leading Trystan to become the instrument of his dying father’s revenge. His violent reprisal instigates a backlash of murder and death, forcing Trystan to flee with the remains of his family to the sultry city of New Orleans where he sells himself into the service of the Vampire Lord Abraham. Becoming the assassin Lash to hide his identity, Trystan finds a measure of peace, even as his skill with killing heightens, bringing to him not only new allies, but also new adversaries.

Lash’s story, told by him in first person, is a violent, action-packed tale that resonates with strong emotions and tragedy. My mother liked my romance tales, but she wanted something more “exciting and edgy like the TV show 24.” I watched a few episodes of 24, then wrote her this 


My paranormal romance series begins end of June 2012 with the first book, Promise Me. This is publishing at Melange Books. The Promise Me Series begins in Book One, Promise Me, with my heroine Sar finding the vampire Danial in a neighbor’s quarry near her woods. 

Here is the blurb:

When young widow Sarelle McGarran finds the vampire Danial Racklan unconscious and hurt in her woods, intuitive concern quickly becomes passionate love. Together Danial and Sar work to overcome their own past heartbreaks, their vastly different lifestyles, and Danial's relentless enemies. Yet Danial needs more; an Oath of forever. But can Sar give Danial his greatest desire?


If you can’t wait for that, I have two stories publishing in Midnight Thirsts 2 end of May 2012. 

Night Music is the story of the musically gifted vampire, David, and how his chance meeting with the lovely Krys sparks not only the very inspiration he was desperate for, but also romance. David and Krys are very small players in the Promise Me series. Another major character, the vampire Devlin Dalcon, does have a cameo role in this story.

Blurb for Night Music:

Grieving Krys Markman has come to lose herself in family memories at Letchworth State Park, and try to figure out her next step. Yet the unearthly beautiful music she hears each night stirs her soul to romance. Can its creator, the attractive vampire David Helm, heal her broken heart?

Partners is a kind of prequel to Promise Me, as it tells how the vampire Danial met his best friend and partner, Theo. These are both major characters in Promise Me, and also throughout the series. This is more of an action/mystery story, with a few scary overtones. You’ll also see Devlin Dalcon in a cameo in this story, too.

Blurb for Partners:

Vampire investigator Danial Racklan finds more than his target when the suffering werecougar Theo crosses his path one evening. For Theo is not only a man with a past as tragic as his own, but also destined to give Danial something he’s never had before: a partner he could trust.

When was it that you first realized your interest in writing?

I was in 6th grade, and a teacher asked us to write a poem, giving us several parameters. I looked at the piece of the paper and began writing my first scary work. The teacher read it to the class as an example of a good effort. I was so proud of myself 

It was called The Abandoned Town, a scary description of a ghost town.

Do you allow any family or friends to read your books before publishing?

My mother reads my work before it is submitted anywhere, from poem to article to short story to novel. If she doesn’t like it, it doesn’t get submitted. Believe me, she has no trouble being critically honest, even being my mom. Recently, the good Jenny Twist also has proofed my shorter works, like blog posts. She is a huge help to me, and I’m very grateful. Another good friend, Tori L. Ridgewood has also helped proofing some of my novels, like the aforementioned Lash. 

Do you have any advice you'd like to share with other authors, or in general that you think would be beneficial to our readers? Also we'd love you to share your links and let us know where we can find out more about you.

If you really believe you have a story to tell, keep trying to get it out there. It may take years, but if you are passionate enough, you’ll get some publisher to read it, and then print it. All you need is one stranger to believe in you, and the world is yours! 

Readers: please try my books. If you love them, please let me know. If you didn’t, let me know that, too, so I can try to make my next creation that much better. I read every review I get, always. Thank you for reading!

Links: 

Website: www.tarafoxhall.com
(This lists everything I ever did that got published online and print, along with links to interviews, reviews, and contact info)

Email: tarafoxhallATgmailDOTcom

Author pages:

goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/sho...4.Tara_Fox_Hall

Melange Books page: www.melange-books.com/authors/taraf...arafoxhall.html

manic readers page: http://www.manicreaders.com/TaraFoxHall

Bradley Publishing: http://www.bradleypublishings.com/T...ra_Fox_Hall.php 
Tara's Blog: http://www.goodreads.com/author/sho...a_Fox_Hall/blog

Tara's Facebook Page:
www.facebook.com/pages/Tara-Fox-Hal...151813374904903

For info on my recently published work, Lash, click here: http://www.amazon.com/Lash-ebook/dp/B007UJ6KGC

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me at GMTA, Kitty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific interview, Tar! And thanks for the shout-out -- hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Tara! I've read LASH and it is superb! Loads of love
    Jenny
    x

    ReplyDelete