Wednesday, May 16, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, TODD BOYER

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF "THE CONSUMING,"
TODD BOYER




Hello Todd! It is so wonderful to have this opportunity to interview you. So what was it that led you to writing as a career instead of just as a hobby?

I truthfully stumbled into writing while going through a spell of unemployment for a year and a half. I found myself praying a lot for God to show me what His will was for my life. I remember waking up one night after one of those prayers and the idea for The Consuming came to me. At first I wasn't sure if I was writing just for fun or to fill idle time. While evolving the story I realized just how much I enjoyed creating characters who could really reach out and touch people personally and emotionally. I knew then that I had found what I was looking for and also what I believed God wanted me to do with my life.

What is your current work and what was the inspiration behind it?

I am currently working on my second book, The Rising, which is the next book in the Demon Soul Saga series, following The Consuming.

Who are some of your inspirations both authors or other?

I would have to say my biggest inspiration came from Jesus. I also grew up a comic book fan so I have a lot of inspirations from that genre.

Do you have any plans on writing in other genres in the near future?

I actually have a head full of stories spanning different genres. I come up with a new story ideas all the time. My mind is constantly conjuring story-lines and dialogs.

Tell us what a normal day in the life of Todd is like.

I have a full time job aside from writing so my day starts with me finishing the work that pays my bills. When I get home, I usually spend time with my 6-month old son, Noah, until my wife gets home from her job as a teacher. I then try to find some time and a quiet moment to work on my stories or to do some marketing for my book, The Consuming. Then I might watch some TV with my wife before falling asleep and resetting our busy lives once again.

Do you allow your wife or any other friends and family to critique your work before it is published?

I have a small group of close friends and family whom I trust to give me an honest critique on everything I write. It gives me a chance to make sure that my readers will understand my stories before I publish. It also lets me know if there are things I need to emphasize or clear up in the story.

Tell us about some of your most valued accomplishments in life.

First and foremost would be finding God and accepting Jesus in my life. Next, I would have to say, would be finding and marrying my wife and holding my son, Noah. I also consider finishing and publishing my first novel a big accomplishment.

Did you ever fancy yourself a writer when you were younger?

Not really. To be honest, I don't read many books. I am more of a visual person. I never would have imagined myself writing a book when I was younger.

If you had to choose any other profession besides writing what would it be and why?

I would love to play in the NBA for the Indiana Pacers. I grew up playing basketball and was pretty good. Unfortunately that path didn't work out for me.

Do you have any advice you'd like to share with other authors, or in general that you think would be beneficial to our readers? Also we'd love you to share your links and let us know where we can find out more about you.

Mostly I would just like to encourage anyone who has a desire and an idea for a story to just take a leap of faith and start writing. I never would have published my first book and found this passion if I had not written the first word. I would like to encourage everyone to join me on facebook by Liking my fan page at www.facebook.com/theconsuming. You can also find more information on my author page at www.outskirtspress.com/theconsuming.


Thanks again Kitty.

Todd Boyer
The Consuming
www.facebook.com/theconsuming

No comments:

Post a Comment