Tuesday, June 19, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, C.C. HUNTER

INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR OF THE "SHADOW FALLS" SERIES, C.C. HUNTER

 

 



Hello C.C., thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview. It is a pleasure to have the chance to get to know more about you and your writing. First tell us about your newest novel and why you decided to write it. 

C.C.: Hi, and thanks so much for having me at your blog. I'd love to tell you about my latest book, Taken at Dusk, which is book three in my Shadow Falls series. Kylie is learning more about her special gifts. As the book opens, she gets to meet Daniel's adoptive parents . . . or, at least that's who they say they are. Burnett and Holiday aren't so sure, especially when the older couple disappears. As in, they literally go "poof" right in front of Perry. But Kylie's got a lot of other things to worry about—she is growing closer to Lucas and that is causing him (and her) a bit of trouble with his pack . . . and his family. Her two best friends are still squabbling and Kylie's new ghost is causing even more problems. But worse than all of those things combined, the death angels have a new message for Kylie: Two people will face danger. One will live . . . and one will die. And Kylie's afraid that this time, she won't be able to stop the prediction from coming true. Also in the end of the third novel, Kylie finally learns the answer to her question. What is she? 

Tell us about some of your hobbies, things you like to do in your spare time.

C.C.: Spare time? What’s that? Okay, I have to be honest. Lately, I don't have a lot of spare time. In addition to writing the Shadow Falls series for St. Martin's Press, I also write humorous romantic suspense novels for Grand Central/Forever as Christie Craig. Between writing and promoting both series, well, I stay pretty busy. But as for what I enjoy doing which I can steal a few minutes to myself, well, I love to read. And I do that most evenings, once I'm in bed. I also walk about an hour, five times a week, with a close friend, who also happens to be a writer. It’s on my walks that I get most of my girl time chit chatting in. 
I also enjoy traveling. These days, my traveling is mostly limited to press appearances and writing conferences, but my hubby and I do manage to get away for a long weekend every now and then. 


What is the one most rewarding thing in your life right now?

C.C.: Just one? Oh, that’s too hard. Can I give you three? Number one is my family and my hubby. Hubby is my real hero. And my family, well, family time is the best. Then there’s my career. It’s hard work, but making the New York Times Bestseller list was a long time goal. And the other thing that really brings me joy about my career is the fan mail I receive from readers. There is just nothing like getting a letter from a reader who tells me how much she enjoyed reading my Shadow Falls series, and knowing that readers are enjoying my work is very rewarding emotionally. 

When reading for pleasure do you tend to stick to the same genre you write or do you like to read other genres as well?

C.C.: Oh, great question. When I'm writing my YA, I avoid reading other YA paranormal stories if they are similar to mine. I do the same when I'm writing my romances. I do that because I don't want to be influenced, even slightly. But as for what I do read, well, I like to read everything from historical romances and YAs to contemporary romances and YA romances with paranormal elements. Plus, non-fiction. If the non-fiction is research for the book I'm currently writing, that's okay. I can read that without getting influenced. 

When was it that you realized writing was what you wanted to do with your life?

C.C.: Well, I've always known I had a knack for storytelling. I think it's because I'm from the South and my family has a well-earned reputation for being storytellers. Now, I'm not saying that I come from a long line of liars but, in my family, if a good lie made for a better story, then we went for it. And the stories had to be funny. Some of my earliest memories are sitting around in the living room, hearing my mama and daddy and my grandparents spinning their tall tales while we all laughed.

Now, as for when I knew that I wanted to be a writer, I didn’t realize that until my early twenties. My new hubby asked me what I wanted to do, career-wise. He thought I might want to go back to school and be a teacher. (And I do love teaching other people, so I can totally see where he might think that.) But I looked at him and said, "I want to be a writer," which took us both by surprise. But it was the right decision.

When can we expect your next book out and can you give us a sneak peek?

C.C.: My next Shadow Falls book is Whispers at Moonrise and that should be out in October 2nd, 2012. It's book four in the series and I think it's the best one yet. Shadow Falls Academy is open, and the campers make the transition to students, and the new teachers arrive. Kylie discovers more about her heritage and the special gifts she now has. She has to deal with that and make some decisions about her next moves. There's another ghost with a mystery that strikes a little too close to her heart. Lucas is pursuing his destiny with the pack, and darn near breaking Kylie's heart in the process, and then her mom starts acting like a teenager with her new boyfriend, whom Kylie doesn't like. Lots of conflict and lots of emotion. 

Back in your high school career, who was the one teacher you would say made a profound difference in your life, if any?

C.C.: That would be my art teacher, Mr. Bentley. He chose me as his teaching assistant. I'd never been chosen for anything special like that in my life, so it was a huge deal for me. I think Mr. Bentley saw that, deep down, I was a bit insecure. And he gave me the position to help me come out of my shell a little. That confidence he showed in me helped me not only to shine in his class, but it gave me the confidence to try new things throughout my life. Thanks again, Mr. Bentley!

What dreams do you have for future generations that you'd like to share with others?

C.C.: Hmm. Interesting question. My dreams for future generations is that they will be a lot smarter than we were, especially when it comes to things such as safeguarding our planet's resources and treating everyone—regardless of who they are or what they believe—with respect and dignity.

One off the board question I like to ask, is what are your views as far as 2012, and do you believe in the Mayan Calendar? 

C.C.: From what I've read and heard, the Mayans accomplished some fairly amazing things, including the development of their calendar. But that said, I don't buy into the doomsday theory. How can the world end in December when my last Shadow Falls novel won’t be out until April 2013? LOL.

Finally, do you have any advice you'd like to give to other aspiring authors, also please leave us your links where we can find out more about you.

C.C.: I’m often asked to speak to a group of aspiring writers and when I do, I tell them the same things I tell anyone who has a dream they cherish. Namely, believe in yourself. Believe in your dream. And don’t give up, no matter how many rejections you may accumulate. Stay strong and keep working toward your goals. If it’s writing, take writing classes, attend writers’ conferences and soak up as much knowledge as you can while you’re there. And read. Read widely. Read anything and everything you can get your hands on. And most of all, never let anyone steal your dream from you. Because I don’t care what the “experts” will tell you about what the odds are of making your dream a reality. I heard it all, too. I was a dyslexic high school drop-out when I decided I wanted to make my living as a writer. Believe me, the experts didn’t think I had a good chance of making it. If I’d listened to them, I never would have. But I listened to myself. I believed in myself. And I made it. You can, too. 

Now, for my links. You can find out more about me and my books by visiting my website: 

www.CCHunterBooks.com. While there, you can check out my blog, which I update every Tuesday – www.CCHunterBooks.com/blog. On Twitter, I'm @CCHunterBooks and on Facebook, I'm www.Facebook.com/CCHunterBooks.
Thanks again for having me visit your blog. 
C.C.

Thank you again C.C. for the ability to do this interview with you. Perhaps we can do more together in the near future. 

C.C.: And thank you again for inviting me your blog. I've had a blast, and I'd love to get together again. 

4 comments:

  1. CC,
    I love all of your books! I can not wait until Whispers at Moonrise is out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I have recently fallen in love with this series and can't wait to read more! Though I'm a little sad to find out there will only be 5 books. I'm still holding out hope there will be more :-) And I'm not too shocked that Lucas may break Kylie's heart in Whispers at Moonrise, though I had hoped he would put her first.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...

    Thank you to everyone for stopping by. And a special thank you to Great Minds Think Aloud for posting the interview. I think bloggers have a special place in Publishing Heaven.

    Right now I'm working on the fifth, and last book in the Shadow Falls series. Things are getting tense now. It will be hard to say good bye to this series. To a writer, the characters become almost like family.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mustn't say goodbye! I'm going to truly miss the series and I'll be honest C.C., I just recently started reading the first book and I'm completely in love. I think your series beats the socks off Twilight and any other I've read so far. Your teenagers... are far more realistic. I can tell that you write from a perspective where you truly know what you're writing about as in having had the experience to deal with the emotions of true teenagers. I commend you on this series and I hope even though this one is ending, that you will write much more in the near future. I am honored, and blessed to be part of your street team and thank you humbly for the opportunity to represent you even in the smallest way.

    Thank you so much C.C.

    Always a friend and promoter in your corner!

    Kitty (Great Minds Think Aloud)

    ReplyDelete