Wednesday, June 13, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, J. MEYERS

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF "INTANGIBLE," J. MEYERS



Hello J., thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview. It is a pleasure to have the chance to get to know more about you and your writing. First tell us about your newest novel and why you decided to write it.

My debut novel is Intangible and about twins Sera and Luke Raine who have special gifts--she can heal with a touch of her hand and he can see the future with absolute accuracy. Luke has a vision that Sera is killed, and they have to figure out how to change the future, which they've never been able to do before. In the process, they also learn their world is not as they thought it was.

The idea for this novel took hold of my imagination and wouldn't let go, so I had to write it even though I had no time to write (I have four young kids and we homeschool). But I was compelled, and I have to say that I absolutely loved writing it. The whole process was incredibly fulfilling, even when it was at times frustrating, stressful, and difficult. 

Tell us about some of your hobbies, things you like to do in your spare time.

My favorite thing to do is be with my husband and kids, and I feel lucky that I get to do that a lot. I read (a lot), bake (too much), sew (a bit), and knit (not nearly enough). I love being outside, taking walks or hikes with my kids, or skipping rocks at the lake which is literally two minutes from my house. I have a deep love of nature. 

What is the one most rewarding thing in your life right now?

My family. My kids and my husband are without a doubt the best part of my life. My kids are little--10 and under--and they're just so fantastic in a spongy-soaking-up-everything-and-then-some sort of way. They are a whole pile of fun and remind me daily that I'm the luckiest person. 

When reading for pleasure do you tend to stick to the same genre you write or do you like to read other genres as well?

For the past few years, I've read YA and MG lit almost exclusively. In part it's because when I read YA lit it's also study time for me so I can become a better writer. But the biggest reason is that I just love YA and MG lit--especially YA. There is something about it that just speaks to my mind and heart. Beyond the fact that those genres are so beautifully written and overflowing with creativity, there is hope infused into the story and I'm a big fan of hope. 

When was it that you realized writing was what you wanted to do with your life?

Is it terrible if I say just 3 years ago? :-) I've been a writer for a long time, but I was an educational texts writer for a while and then I co-authored a couple of parenting books. I liked it, but I knew it wasn't going to be a forever thing for me. It wasn't until I decided to leap into fiction and came up with the premise for Intangible that I really envisioned myself doing this for decades or however long I continue to love it.

When can we expect your next book out and can you give us a sneak peek?

I have high hopes that the next book will be out by the end of the year (fingers and toes crossed on that!). And I'm sorry to say I cannot give you a sneak peak because I'm just completing the outline now and things may change as I write it. It'll have to stay secret for now. ;-)

Back in your high school career, who was the one teacher you would say made a profound difference in your life, if any?

John Donohue, my high school English teacher, was that teacher for me. And not because he made me want to be a writer--I actually hated writing when I was in school. But he taught me to think, not to just regurgitate what I was taught. And that's a HUGE lesson to learn. He was an amazing teacher and really touched my mind and my heart. I wish I could thank him for freeing my mind and believing in me, but he died suddenly two weeks before my high school graduation. But I thank him in my heart. 

What dreams do you have for future generations that you'd like to share with others?

I dream of peace. Don't know if it's possible with all the hate in the world, but that would be my ideal for future generations. 

One off the board question I like to ask, is what are your views as far as 2012, and do you believe in the Mayan Calendar?

I don't know the Mayan Calendar very well, so I suppose that means I don't believe in it. Do I think 2012 is the end of the world? Um, no. :-) I think it's the beginning. (But that could be because I've just published my first novel this year. It certainly feels like a beginning to me.) 

Finally, do you have any advice you'd like to give to other aspiring authors, also please leave us your links where we can find out more about you.

Read, read, read, read, read. And then read some more. I learn so much by reading. Learning what to do (and how to do it) as well as what not to do. Also, write the book you'd want to read. Don't worry about trends or what others say is hot or not. Just write what you want to read. You'll find your audience.
Please come visit me online at:

www.jmeyersbooks.com. I'm on Facebook and Twitter (I LOVE Twitter!) and you can find links to me at those places on my site. 

Thank you again J. for the ability to do this interview with you. Perhaps we can do more together in the near future.

Thanks so much, Kitty! It's been fun. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment