Thursday, June 7, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, JONATHAN GARRETT

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF, "THE EMMINENCE OF BARDON ROKET," JONATHAN GARRETT



Hello Jonathan, thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview. It is a pleasure to have the chance to get to know more about you and your writing. First tell us about your newest novel and why you decided to write it.

My latest novel is The Eminence of Bardon Roket, a humorous little bit of satire about a 12-year-old genius who decides he wants to take over the world. This was something I decided to write because I really wanted to write something that was different from the serious-minded fantasy and science fiction that I had worked on up to that point. And it really was such a joy to write, the characters, the situations, all of it. It was great, really great, and the entire writing process for the story was filled with motivation and passion. I really do wish I could recapture that feeling and use it again somewhere else. The book can be found in digital form on Amazon and Smashwords and in paperback on Create Space.

Tell us about some of your hobbies, things you like to do in your spare time.

Much of my spare time is spent split between wasting my time reading internet forums, playing the latest videogames, and watching a wide variety of Japanese animation. I really ought to spend more time catching up on my reading backlog, though.

What is the one most rewarding thing in your life right now?

Being able to do what I truly love (writing books) and finally reaching the point where I feel confident enough in my abilities to put my novels up for sale. And it certainly doesn't hurt to hear all the positive feedback I've been getting.

When reading for pleasure do you tend to stick to the same genre you write or do you like to read other genres as well?

It would actually be accurate to say that I write in the genres that I loved to read. I grew up with Tolkien, David Eddings, Robert Jordan, R.A. Salvatore, Terry Pratchett, Terry Brooks, and Arthur C. Clarke. I consumed their books on a daily basis, whenever I had the time, and rarely had more joy than when I entered their worlds. What I want as a writer, more than anything else, is for my readers to be able experience those same feelings when they read my books. So, yes, fantasy and science fiction are quite plentiful both on my shelf and in my writing folder.

When was it that you realized writing was what you wanted to do with your life?

My last year of college. That was when it finally hit me that I was just a step away from the end of my education and was about to be shoved out into the world. I'd always been so focused on school and doing as well as I could that I hadn't thought as much as I should have about what was going to happen afterward. It came on me a lot quicker than I ever thought it would! When I really sat down and thought about it, I came to the realization that I wanted to develop my writing talent and see where it could take me.

When can we expect your next book out and can you give us a sneak peek?

By the time this interview is posted, my latest novel will be Fragments of Mind, a collection of fantasy and science fiction short stories all written by me. But I do know what's next on the horizon: a scifi-western called Deadeye. It follows an aging marshal who is tasked with investigating a series of bizarre murders in the remnants of a post-apocalyptic world. It plays to the the kinds of themes that I visit often: law enforcement, deserts, after the apocalypse, and robots.

Back in your high school career, who was the one teacher you would say made a profound difference in your life, if any?

Well, I had teachers in high school that I liked, certainly, but I really can't think of any that had a significant impact on how I developed in my post-high school days. It's my greatest regret that no one noticed my writing ability while I was in high school and that I was too diffident to think my attempts at writing would ever be anything other than a silly little hobby useful for wasting away a few hours of boredom.

What dreams do you have for future generations that you'd like to share with others?

I'm sure the same thing has been said many times before, and by many previous generations, but my dream for the future is that people will be more willing, able, and motivated than ever to pursue their dreams and to live to their fullest potential. Life shouldn't be about working all day every day to come home with just enough money to make it to the next paycheck. I hope that the world continues to offer opportunities for more than that and more tomorrow than there are today.

One off the board question I like to ask, is what are your views as far as 2012, and do you believe in the Mayan Calendar?

It's not the first time someone's predicted the end of the world and it won't be the last time. Maybe this is a bit hypocritical considering I'm a Christian [and follow a book that's two thousand years old], but I just don't believe that the Mayans knew anything more about the world and what was going to happen to it in the future than we do now. Rather than worrying about some future catastrophe predicted thousands of years ago, we should be worrying about the problems of today and how we can fix them.

Finally, do you have any advice you'd like to give to other aspiring authors, also please leave us your links where we can find out more about you.

Don't ever give up, keep writing. It took me years of writing, years of failed projects and literary garbage, to get to the first novel I felt comfortable letting other people read. It takes determination and drive, and a lot of hard work. But it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment