Tuesday, June 12, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, R.B. CLAGUE

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF "DAISY," R.B. CLAGUE



Hello R.B., thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview. It is a pleasure to have the chance to get to know more about you and your writing. First tell us about your newest novel and why you decided to write it.

First, let me say thanks for having me. My latest novel is entitled: “Daisy.” It’s about three cows who decide to run away from their farm in country New South Wales when they find out that cows are eaten by humans. The novel came about by happenstance. I live in the country and was driving down a road one day and saw some cows grazing in a field. I asked myself, What would those cows do if they knew what the future held for them? The rest, as they say, is history. Here’s the blurb:

DAISY

Who would ever believe that three cows absconding from a farm in country New South Wales could bring a father and son closer together, reunite two long-lost lovers, form a lasting friendship between completely different animal species, receive aid from a mysterious swami, and have a song dedicated to them by an internationally famous country music singer?

Who could foresee that those same three bovines could become enlightened, aware that humans actually consume cows, and in the end, capture the attention of the national media and the hearts of an entire nation as they attempt to escape to India, where cows are sacred and definitely not destined for the dinner table?

This and much more, is the occasionally hilarious, always uplifting, frequently thought-provoking, at times almost heartbreaking story of Daisy, as she, along with her friends Bunyip and Tulip set off on an amazing quest to step outside their limitations, becoming wiser and much more than others could ever expect them to be.

Tell us about some of your hobbies, things you like to do in your spare time.

I walk our dog, Spike, twice as day for about an hour. Other than that, writing and promoting my work is both my occupation and hobby, which takes up most of my time.

What is the one most rewarding thing in your life right now?

The fact that Daisy is being seriously considered for a feature film right now by some of my agent’s contacts in Los Angeles. That it is even being considered, given that it’s such an unusual story is very rewarding in itself. I’m currently waiting to see what’s going to happen. I’d love to see Daisy on the big screen. I’ll let you know what happens.

When reading for pleasure do you tend to stick to the same genre you write or do you like to read other genres as well?

I’m an eclectic reader/writer, so I don’t particularly read or write in any single genre. I write stories that please me, in the knowledge that there are certain to be other people in the world with the same tastes. As far as reading goes, it depends on how I obtained a book. I might read a book that is given to me as a present, or just spy something in a second-hand store that I think looks good. I must admit that I have a bit of a penchant for classic novels.

When was it that you realized writing was what you wanted to do with your life?

I’ve pretty much always known that. I decided in my teens that I’d read everything I could get my hands on before I ever set pen to paper.

When can we expect your next book out and can you give us a sneak peek?

My next novel to be released will be a re-publishing of my novel: “Whitefella dreaming” and the three other novels in the series. I had some problems with my last publisher, who released the first two books out of sequence and with numerous errors in them. I stopped publication on the third novel and we parted company. All four books will be released within the next year, in their correct sequence and the way they were intended to be presented. That was a big lesson for me as a writer. I will never trust ANY publisher when they tell me that my book will be professionally edited and leave them to go ahead and publish without viewing them first. At the end of the day, it’s my name on the cover.

Here’s the old blurb for Whitefella dreaming, which may change with the new edition, but I’m sure you’ll get the gist:

WHITEFELLA DREAMING

Rob Swift accidentally kills an Aboriginal man in a car accident on his way to work one morning. The accident also kills his best friend and leaves his partner, Aroha, in a coma. Following the accident, the Alice Springs Hospital is host to a series of strange events and Rob learns that Aroha is being held captive in a spiritual world unable to return to him until he takes a journey into the desert to face the consequences of his actions.

The first in the Rob Swift series of adventures, "Whitefella Dreaming" depicts how Rob gains an Aboriginal spirit guide and embarks on a new, more enlightened life. The next instalment, "Desert of the Mind", follows Rob as he faces a determined and resourceful enemy and learns to use his visions for the power of good.

Back in your high school career, who was the one teacher you would say made a profound difference in your life, if any?

Yes, that one teacher was Debbie Zylberstein who taught both sociology and drama. She helped me to see outside of the working class existence that my friends and I lived in the northern suburbs of Melbourne and to expect more from life. A fabulous woman and fantastic teacher.

What dreams do you have for future generations that you'd like to share with others?

I only hope that the future generations have a decent world to live in. We seem to be doing a pretty good job of screwing it up, without thinking about the future.

One off the board question I like to ask, is what are your views as far as 2012, and do you believe in the Mayan Calendar?

I was only laughing about this the other a with a friend, saying it’d be just my luck to write a bestselling novel in the year that the world ends. LOL! If it happens, it happens. Not much use fretting about it.

Finally, do you have any advice you'd like to give to other aspiring authors, also please leave us your links where we can find out more about you.

Read, a lot. There’s a thousand years of writing to reference and look back at, to help you improve your own writing. In my view, people who write, but have never been readers are at a distinct disadvantage. Also, write a lot to practice and hone your craft. I’ve been writing for a long time and find that there’s always something new to learn.

Thank you again R.B. for the ability to do this interview with you. Perhaps we can do more together in the near future.

Thank you, Kitty, it’s been a pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment