Monday, June 4, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, TRACE RILES

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF "BARELY HUMAN," TRACE RILES



Hello Trace, thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview. It is a pleasure to have the chance to get to know more about you and your writing. First tell us about your newest novel and why you decided to write it.

Barely Human follows a brief moment in the life of Jessie Leyte. I really love her because she is a wonderfully flawed character who’s just struggling to find her way. She doesn’t feel as though she fits in anywhere. I liked journey she had to take to find a little footing in her own crazy life.

I love all things supernatural, so getting to play with a variety of fun, interesting, and sometimes scary characters was a fantastic experience for me.

Writing this book was inevitable...I had all of these people inside my head just banging for me to let them out. Once I opened that door, even a little, there was no turning around.

Tell us about some of your hobbies, things you like to do in your spare time.

These days I spend most of my free time in the greenhouse. I’m really enjoying learning about my plants. I try to run and workout a couple of times a week. I read and watch movies when I get the time...nothing too extravagant.

What is the one most rewarding thing in your opinion, about being a parent?

For me I think the best thing about being a parent is that I get to witness my children’s successes. I really encourage independence in my children and I love that look on their faces when they succeed in doing something for themselves. Mushy hugs and kisses from the little peeps aren’t too bad either.

When reading for pleasure do you tend to stick to the same genre you write or do you like to read other genres as well?

Though I have read other genres, I definitely do tend to stick to urban fantasy or thriller type books. Some of my favorite authors are Kelley Armstrong, Dean Koontz, and Kim Harrison. I really like to escape into a world that looks like my own, but is actually just a smoke screen to cloak the things that go bump in the night.

When was it that you realized writing was what you wanted to do with your life?

Well, I wrote and illustrated my first book when I was a kid. I thought “The Year Santa Stubbed His Toe” was amazing! Oddly enough, it was never published...=P

I think I’ve always loved story telling. I started a few novels when I was a teenager, but I just didn’t have the ability to see them through to the end. When I finally gave myself permission to go for my dreams regardless of the outcome, completing my manuscript was a joy, not a chore.

When can we expect your next book out and can you give us a sneak peek?

Right now I’m taking a course, so I can’t say when the next book will be coming. I can tell you that it picks up a few months after the events in Barely Human and has many of the same characters along with some new ones.

Back in your high school career, who was the one teacher you would say made a profound difference in your life, if any?

Though I can’t say a specific teacher affected me, I can say that I love school and all of the doors it can open for you.

What dreams do you have for future generations that you'd like to share with others?

Honestly, I would like to see a future with fewer judgements, and more kindness. I know that may seem silly. But I just feel that sometimes people can spend far too much time looking for flaws in others when that energy could be better spent helping your fellow man. Sometimes something as simple as saying hello or offering a kind word can change a person’s whole day. Then in turn, they may do the same for someone else. I feel like we live in a rushed society and in that hurry to do a thousand things a day, the enjoyment of life gets lost. I guess that was a long way of saying I’d like to see more people “Pay it forward”.

One of the board questions I like to ask, is what are your views as far as 2012, and do you believe in the Mayan Calendar?

The teeny weensy superstitious part of me says, “Yikes!” But the rational side of me believes that the calendar ended because the Mayan people ended. I try not to put too much stock into it and just enjoy my life.

Finally, do you have any advice you'd like to give to other aspiring authors, also please leave us your links where we can find out more about you.

Most importantly, I think you have to learn your craft. Like anything else, it takes time and effort to get good at it, and you can always be better.

Take advice from more experienced writers, publishers, editors etc. Never ever be rude, or burn any bridges because no one knows what the future may hold. The receptionist you grouched at today may be the editor who receives your submission tomorrow.

I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank GMTA for having me. It’s been a wonderful experience and I hope to come back in the future. To everyone who reads Barely Human, thank you for taking time out of your busy day to experience my vision.

You can join me at:

Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/BarelyHumanBook
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Trace-Riles-Author-Page/119549048132327
Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...41-barely-human

I hope to see you there. Thank you, and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment