Friday, July 27, 2012

Guest Blog by Author Brian D. Anderson

Great Minds Think Aloud Welcomes Brian D. Anderson, Author of the Godling Chronicles...
 
I was at the PC, working on a very dark story I had been writing for a few weeks, when my son came home from school. He looked excited. More excited than usual. When I asked him why, he explained that he had come up with an idea for a story, and was desperate to tell me about it. At first I was a bit irritated. I was on a roll and had been writing for about an hour, and didn't really want to stop. But, not wanting to be a “bad dad”, I smiled and listened.
If you want to know what he told me, you need only read the prologue of Book One. I wrote down action for action what he said. I naturally adjusted the language to a more adult tone, and added the dialogue, but the sequences were all his. By the time he finished, I had forgotten all about my dumb book and was captivated. He went on to explain the main character (including his name) and the general idea for the story. ALL THAT FROM THE MIND SEVEN YEAR OLD BOY!!!
Right then I knew that an idea like that could not be left to waste. I abandoned my book and set to work. Admittedly, Jonathan lost interest soon after, and moved on to things more fun than watching his old man type. Still, from time to time I would read it to him, and get his opinion. He loved watching it take shape, and relished the idea that other people would one day read it.
It only took six weeks to write the first draft. I had never written so much so quickly. It was as if the story was already there, and I was merely taking dictation. It unfolded, seemingly, on its own. Each twist and turn came to me as if I already knew it from beginning to end. Each character was like a person I already knew.
When my first publisher picked it up, I was elated. I had never been more proud of my son, and I must admit...myself. The day the first copies arrived at our house and I looked in the back to see our picture, it really hit me what had happened. For years I had written dark, cerebral stories, that only I and a few others might enjoy. Looking back I see my old work as less of a story, and more of an academic exercise in self-indulgence. And though I had always had a love of fantasy, I had never had been able to write it effectively. That is, until now. It was as if my son had unlocked something deep inside of me. Something I had always hoped was there, but had resigned myself to believing it was not.
Now I am free to write and create without the burden of doubt...and it is all thanks to my inspiration...the light of my life...my son. I know that one day, he will be something special. With a mind like his I see only success in his future. I'm certain that one day the world will know the name Jonathan Anderson.
 
 A Short Bio on Our Guest:
Brian D. Anderson was born in 1971, and grew up in the small town of Spanish Fort, AL.. He attended Fairhope High, then later Springhill College where his love for fantasy grew into a lifelong obsession. His hobbies include chess, history, and spending time with his son.

No comments:

Post a Comment