Tuesday, July 3, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, BETH BARES

INTERVIEW WITH ROMANCE AUTHOR, BETH BARES

  

Hello Beth, thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview. It is a pleasure to have the chance to get to know more about you and your writing. First tell
us about your newest novel and why you decided to write it.


Hey Kitty, I’m so happy to be chatting with you. I love Great Minds. There is so much going on here. It’s exciting to read about up and coming authors and of course the veterans.

My debut novel is, Dreams of Reality. It is book 1, in my paranormal romance series, The Dreams Trilogy. Elizabeth, my heroine is a romance author. Because of her unusual dreams, she has written several best-selling novels. But, without warning she begins to have daytime visions and soon her dreams and visions become reality. Although, several people in her life know exactly the reason for all the craziness. It’s after she receives the shock of her life that her world collides with what she thought to be fantasy for a very long time. She doesn’t know whether to be thrilled or totally freaked out. One thing is for sure, Elizabeth does not intend to do what she doesn’t want to do. Taking orders from some very macho egotistical men isn’t her cup of tea. 

There are some colourful individuals and then some very serious, dramatic characters. My series isn’t your typical “Paranormal” novel. My characters have special abilities, but, the story doesn’t revolve around what they can do. It’s more about who they are as individuals. They are quite entertaining.

The ‘writing bug’ it me after Hurricane Gustav. If anyone out there is from Southern Louisiana, you know what’s it’s like to be without electricity. Not only is it miserable with 99 degree heat and 100 percent humidity, but it’s very boring. Every book tucked away on my bookshelves, had been read at least twice. So I decided to write my own story to occupy my time. By the time, our power came back (after 8 days) I had fallen in love with some brand new characters who were taking me on a very different and unique journey. Needless to say, I became best friends with my keyboard!

Tell us about some of your hobbies, things you like to do in your spare time. 

Well, of course reading is at the top of my “love to do” list, especially on the beach. I absolutely love lying on the beach with a good book. Sitting next to the water as the waves hit my feet is so relaxing.

I love LSU Baseball. My husband and I have had season tickets for years. 

Spending time with my family is always fun and lunch with friends is always on my calendar.

What is the one most rewarding thing in your life right now?

I know this probably sounds cliché’, but that would have to be my book(s). It’s just so overwhelming but so incredibly exciting at the same time. I have received so many awesome comments about the first book. 

When reading for pleasure do you tend to stick to the same genre you write or do you like to read other genres as well?

I really like reading all types of genres. I like books with humor and wit, but also, a good suspense is nice too. However, there is nothing like a great love story, so no matter the genre, there has to be romance in there.

When was it that you realized writing was what you wanted to do with your life?

Actually, I didn’t aspire to be a writer. I wanted to be a nurse for as long as I can remember. Being an author was definitely a hidden desire and now that is has surfaced, plots, ideas, characters, etc., are always in my head.

When can we expect your next book out and can you give us a sneak peek?

Book 2, Reality of Life, will be released in July, 2012. We are shooting for July 1st, but it may be closer to the 15th. A definite date will be posted on your site as well as, my website (www.bethbares.com)

There are quite a few twists and turns in book 2. A couple of new characters are introduced into Elizabeth’s life. In Book 1, Elizabeth starts out as somewhat of an introvert, social relationships, are something new to her. But she still likes to do things her way which causes the men in her life a lot of stress and throws her into some crazy circumstances. Through it all, she grows and is on her way to becoming a very independent and strong young lady, who gives and loves with everything she has.

Back in your high school career, who was the one teacher you would say made a profound difference in your life, if any? 

Wow, that’s a tough question. Needless to say, it wasn’t an English/Literature teacher. I hated English. I was horrible at punctuation and grammar. I knew hiring an Editor for my manuscript(s) was a necessity and would be worth every penny I paid. 

However, I will say my speech teacher was awesome. Her class was definitely the class to take. We had loads of fun. And if you were shy at the beginning of the year, you came out very confident by the end of the year. Everything I learned in that class stayed with me.

What dreams do you have for future generations that you'd like to share with others? 

I would like to see the younger generation reach out more. Their world is totally different than the way things were when I was in my late teens/early twenties. Everything is fast and convenient with technology at the center. Learn to appreciate what you have instead of wanting what you don’t have. The majority of young people today have no idea what it’s like to do without. Also, It would be nice if they would take the time to have a verbal conversation. You can learn so much about others and yourself by verbally communicating.

From an author standpoint regarding the publishing industry, my dream is for them to write entertaining novels. Becoming a “famous” author would be incredible, but that isn’t what you should aspire to be when it comes to writing. Putting a story in someone’s hand that takes them on a unique journey and introduces characters that will stay with them long after they’ve put your book down, is truly what it’s all about. The feeling you get when someone says, “I was up all night reading your book” or “I couldn’t put your book down once I started,” never gets old. Knowing you have given them an outlet from everyday stress and life’s obstacles is so satisfying.

One off the board question I like to ask, is what are your views as far as 2012, and do you believe in the Mayan Calendar? 

I think every year can be ‘the’ year. I live everyday as if it were my last. I don’t waste my time and energy on the Mayan Calendar. I truly believe in my heart, no one except GOD knows when that final day will come. Life is so precious. Each breath we take means our time here is still warranted.

Finally, do you have any advice you'd like to give to other aspiring authors, also please leave us your links where we can find out more about you.

My advice to other authors is, be true to yourself. Don’t aspire to be like everyone else. Your individual voice and personality should shine between the lines of your novels. Also, when it comes to publishing, you as a writer need to feel comfortable on all levels. Don’t jump at the very first offer. Weigh the pro’s and con’s. Make sure that agent and or publisher is the right choice for you and your novel.

Even as a new author, I can see the many changes taking place in the world of publishing. Research is the key. Take the time and learn everything you can about the industry. 

The last and most important thing I would advise all authors to do, is “give back.” Donate to a literary foundation, give away signed copies of your books to your local library, have contests to support the billions of readers that spend their time and money on books. After all, it is because of the “reader” we as authors have a seat on this amazing journey.

If anyone would like information about my series, The Dreams Trilogy, they can find me on Facebook (Beth Bares), my author website, www.bethbares.com and of course by e-mail – romance@bethbares.com. I also have some of my favorite links on my website. 

Thank you again Beth for the ability to do this interview with you. Perhaps we can do more together in the near future. 

You are so welcome Kitty. Thank you for giving me this awesome opportunity. I look forward to chatting with you again. And a big thank you to everyone who has or will take the time to read – The Dreams Trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment