Sunday, July 22, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, HELEN SMITH

INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR OF "ALISON WONDERLAND," HELEN SMITH

 

Hello Helen, thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview. It is a pleasure to have the chance to get to know more about you and your writing. First tell us about Alison Wonderland and why you decided to write the book.

Alison Wonderland is a quirky comedy about a woman who joins an all-female detective agency in Brixton. I wanted to write an offbeat book featuring strong, interesting female characters, and set it in Brixton because that’s where I live.

Tell us about some of your hobbies, things you like to do in your spare time.

I have started an online detective agency with my daughter. You can find it here: http://essbeei.blogspot.com

What is the one most rewarding thing in your life right now?

I love writing. I’m fortunate that I can spend my days doing that.

When reading for pleasure do you tend to stick to the same genre you write or do you like to read other genres as well?

I’ll read anything so long as it’s well-written. I like biographies and autobiographies as well as fiction. It’s really exciting to discover a new author that I like. I’ll usually read my way through every book they’ve written.

When was it that you realized writing was what you wanted to do with your life?

I loved reading when I was a child. I always assumed I’d grow up to be a writer.

When can we expect your next book out and can you give us a sneak peek?

My dystopian thriller, The Miracle Inspector, is currently available as an ebook but it will be out in print in September 2012. It’s set in the near future. England has been partitioned. Women aren’t allowed to work outside the home. Schools and theatres have closed down. A young couple, Lucas and Angela, decide to try to escape to Cornwall – with disastrous consquences. I’m really proud of this book.

One off the board question I like to ask, is what are your views as far as 2012, and do you believe in the Mayan Calendar?

2012 is an exciting year for us here in Britain because we have the Olympic Games in July, and back in June we celebrated the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee with two extra days’ holiday, street parties, pagentry and bunting. I don’t believe in the Mayan Calendar!

Finally, do you have any advice you'd like to give to other aspiring authors, also please leave us your links where we can find out more about you.

I don’t really have any advice other than to say that it’s important to read a lot. But if any aspiring authors are reading this, good luck. Just keep writing. You’ll get there.

Thank you for the questions, Kitty. I really enjoyed answering them.


No comments:

Post a Comment