Tuesday, July 10, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, KAREN A. HOOPER

INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR OF "GRASPING AT ETERNITY," KAREN HOOPER

 

Hello Karen, thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview. It is a pleasure to have the chance to get to know more about you and your writing. First tell us about your newest novel and why you decided to write it. 

Thanks so much for having me. My newest release is Grasping at Eternity (Book 1 of The Kindrily Series). I first wrote this story years ago, and it was my first attempt at a novel. Originally, it was a 150k word mess, but I spent four years improving my craft, revising, and getting the story to a place where I felt it was ready to share with the world. 

Tell us about some of your hobbies, things you like to do in your spare time.

I'm a Disney addict. You can find me at Disney World at least one or two days a month (usually more). If I'm not at Disney I'm usually writing, reading, or hanging out with friends, family, or my two sweet dogs. I'm also a chocoholic and coffee lover. 

What is the one most rewarding thing in your life right now?

Readers. The outpouring of emails, tweets, and messages from fans of Tangled Tides and Grasping at Eternity has been more than I could have ever hoped for. I love what I do, but hearing that others love my stories is beyond rewarding. 

When reading for pleasure do you tend to stick to the same genre you write or do you like to read other genres as well?

I mostly read YA fantasy/paranormal of some sort, but every now and then I do enjoy a good emotional contemporary or literary fiction. A few non-fiction books have been seen on my nightstand as well. 

When was it that you realized writing was what you wanted to do with your life?

December 21, 2008. I was baking Christmas cookies and Ella Fitzgerald's Someone to Watch Over Me was playing on the radio. That's when the idea forGrasping at Eternity hit me. I started typing scenes and I couldn't stop. I had finally found something I truly loved. 

When can we expect your next book out and can you give us a sneak peek?

I'm currently working on sequels to Tangled Tides and Grasping at Eternity, but I think Taking Back Forever (Book 2 of The Kindrily series) will release first. It's expected to come out early winter of 2013.) There's a sneak peek at the end of GAE. 

Back in your high school career, who was the one teacher you would say made a profound difference in your life, if any?

Louise Geczy. She will always hold a special place in my heart. She taught me English, Creative Writing (I and II), Speech, and headed the school literary magazine which I worked on. She was my favorite teacher by far, and she helped me get through the darkest time in my life. Back then I wrote a lot of poetry and short stories and didn't believe I'd ever be capable of writing a novel. But she told me I would write a book one day, and she was right--as always. 

What dreams do you have for future generations that you'd like to share with others?

I hope future generations realize how important love is. Whether it be family, friends, loving themselves, etc. As life becomes more fast paced with technology and such, I feel like REAL human interaction is being jeopardized. I really hope that improves in the future. 


One off the board question I like to ask, is what are your views as far as 2012, and do you believe in the Mayan Calendar? 

I think the Mayans had some really interesting beliefs and customs, but I think all the hype about the world ending this December is a misunderstanding. I'm hoping for the theory that December 21st will initiate a time of great change--hopefully for the better. I started writing my first novel on December 21st four years ago, so for me, that date only signifies positive possibilities. 

Finally, do you have any advice you'd like to give to other aspiring authors, also please leave us your links where we can find out more about you.

Don't give up, and expect the unexpected. Know that you can't please everyone and that's okay, as long as you're writing what you love. 

Author Website: http://www.karenamandahooper.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/Karen_Hooper
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AuthorKaren


Thank you again Karen for the ability to do this interview with you. Perhaps we can do more together in the near future. 

I would love that! Thanks again for having me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment