Monday, July 16, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, LINDA POITEVIN

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF "SINS OF THE SON," LINDA POITEVIN

 

Hello Linda, thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview. It is a pleasure to have the chance to get to know more about you and your writing. First tell us about your newest novel and why you decided to write it. 

Thank you so much for having me on the GMTA blog today, Kitty! It's a huge pleasure to be here.  My latest novel is Sins of the Son, which is the second book in the Grigori Legacy series. I'm not sure that I decided to write the series as much as it chose me to do so, lol! But I did want to write an angel story that pushed the boundaries of our concepts of Heaven and Hell a little...I may not enjoy conflict in my personal life, but I'm definitely more open to the idea in my writing.  

Tell us about some of your hobbies, things you like to do in your spare time. 

I'm an avid gardener, so that takes up a big chunk of time over the spring/summer/fall -- and I love to do my own food preserving when my schedule allows. I can, freeze, pickle, and dry all kinds of interesting things. I love walking in the woods with my dog and I'm going to start dragging my husband along on some weekend hikes, too. Coffee with friends, cooking (it's more fun now that I'm not having to produce three meals a day for an entire family, lol!), reading (of course), crocheting, television...there's never a shortage of things to do. 

What is the one most rewarding thing in your life right now?

Watching my children spread their wings and leave the nest. I have two daughters who have moved from home this year and a third who is becoming increasingly independent. It is incredibly rewarding to see them take their places in society and begin their adult lives. 

When reading for pleasure do you tend to stick to the same genre you write or do you like to read other genres as well?

I read widely across many genres--which may account for why my own books cross so many genre lines! Thrillers, the occasional cozy mystery, suspense, paranormal romance, YA (dystopian and paranormal), urban fantasy...I'm more interested in a well-told story than any particular shelving section in the bookstore. 

When was it that you realized writing was what you wanted to do with your life?

I've always written, but I'd never considered publication to be a viable option until my husband convinced me to try for it about twelve years ago. Once I decided to pursue the idea and make it my profession, it felt like the most natural thing in the world.

When can we expect your next book out and can you give us a sneak peek?

Book 3 in the series, Sins of the Righteous, will be out sometime next spring-ish--but I don't have an exact date as yet. It will continue Alex's story as she struggles to keep humanity from becoming its own Armageddon...only to find herself directly involved yet again in the machinations of angels. 

Back in your high school career, who was the one teacher you would say made a profound difference in your life, if any?

I had several teachers that I liked, but none stand out as having changed me in any particular way. I was a pretty stable kid during those years...focused on school work, kinda geeky, not inclined to be a troublemaker. Pretty boring, when I think back. 

What dreams do you have for future generations that you'd like to share with others?

I hope that future generations will be better than we've been at learning from past mistakes...and that they'll be better at acknowledging our interdependence in this world, both with regards to each other and to other species. I dream of a return to a more sustainable lifestyle, a greater appreciation for how fragile we really are, and an attitude of acceptance rather than just tolerance when it comes to our diverse natures. I'd like to add world peace to that, but given human nature and our track record thus far, I'm not convinced that's entirely possible. 

One off the board question I like to ask, is what are your views as far as 2012, and do you believe in the Mayan Calendar? 

A tiny part of me wonders...but the saner, more logical (and much larger!) part of me says no. While I see distinct signs that our way of life is becoming unsustainable in many ways, I hold out hope that we might still rescue ourselves. *crosses fingers*

Finally, do you have any advice you'd like to give to other aspiring authors, also please leave us your links where we can find out more about you.

To other aspiring authors, I would say "persevere." Read, take classes, study your craft, join a critique group, send out queries and proposals, and just keep writing. Every word you put down on paper is one word closer to your dream.

If you have a question or comment, I'll check in over the day to respond, and you can also find me on Twitter (www.twitter.com/lindapoitevin) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/LindaPoitevin), or at my website (www.lindapoitevin.com). 

Thank you again Linda for the ability to do this interview with you. Perhaps we can do more together in the near future. 

Thank you so very much for having me here today, Kitty, and I would love to do more with you in future!

1 comment:

  1. Great interview. I love the original questions!
    I don't know about saving 'ourselves', but I am not into the Mayan Calendar.

    ReplyDelete