Tuesday, July 24, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR, LUNA LINDSEY

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF, "EMERALD CITY DREAMER," LUNA LINDSEY



Hello Luna, thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview. It is a pleasure to have the chance to get to know more about you and your writing. First tell us about your newest novel and why you decided to write it. 

My novel is called Emerald City Dreamer, and it's about faeries and faerie hunters in Seattle. The main character is a rockstar who, with her friend Sandy, operate a secret organization trying to eradicate the fae. It features strong women who deal with difficult problems in very different ways.

When writing urban fantasy, there are many mythological creatures to choose from. I focused on faeries because they represent imagination, dreams, stories, and music. I wanted a metaphor to show the struggle creative people feel between the practical need to pay the bills, and the urge to make something magic and less tangible.

Tell us about some of your hobbies, things you like to do in your spare time. 

I'm a hobby-jumper, to be sure. I've learned four instruments, made chainmail bracelets, sculpted in polymer clay, started businesses, and found 65 geocaches. Mostly I play video games, because that keeps me out of trouble.

What is the one most rewarding thing in your life right now?

Aside from my writing -- my family.

When reading for pleasure do you tend to stick to the same genre you write or do you like to read other genres as well?

I love to read lots of genres. I especially read sci-fi and fantasy, and lately I've been catching up on certain literature titles people tend to reference in smart conversations. I love feeling like I know what everyone else is talking about.

When was it that you realized writing was what you wanted to do with your life?

At two points in life. Once in 1997. And then I learned writing wasn't as glamorous as I'd been led to believe, and real life demanded I pay some bills with a sensible career. And again in 2010 when I'd done the sensible career for a sensible number of years and decided to take the leap.

When can we expect your next book out and can you give us a sneak peek?

I am working on the early revision phases of Emerald City Hunter, the sequel. I'm expecting to release that sometime in 2013. 

Here's a quick excerpt. Two shape-changing faeries, Phaesyle and the Boneless, battle one another in a gothic gift shop. Sandy tries to stop the Boneless, but at this point she can't tell who is who.

Excerpt:

Phaesyle stood on tiptoes on the top of the necklace rack surrounding the front desk. She held out her arms like a puppeteer, and the carpet beneath the fog caught fire. The fog roared and turned to steam, which then changed to a sweltering smog that billowed to fill the room. 

Sandy began the binding spell again, just before breaking out into a violent cough. Her eyes watered. 

The air filled with butterflies, their wings beating the air like a thousand tiny fans. The smog cleared, and Phaesyle was nowhere to be seen. But soon flies filled the air, a mockery of the butterflies they swarmed beside. The flies grew larger, transforming into sparrow-sized crows. 

They snatched and bit at the butterflies, and managed to consume quite a few before finding themselves snatching at sparks instead. The sparks grew more fierce, like tiny bolts of lightning. Sandy's hair rose on end.

The air filled with a rotting stench, and Sandy looked at her feet where slabs of rancid meat lay cooking in the electricity. She kicked off a bit of steak that had fallen onto her toe.

Above her, the sparks joined together and formed a rainbow that arched from one end of the shop to the other. Sandy could scarcely believe it, but the air actually became rainbow scented, a smell that reminded her of fresh rain and flowers, with a hint of Skittles.

The meat on the floor began to quiver and pulsate, and it took Sandy a moment to realize it was collectively laughing. With each pulse, it joined together into a pile of dirt which crumbled into fine powdery dust. . . 

Back in your high school career, who was the one teacher you would say made a profound difference in your life, if any?

Before high school, actually. Her name was Mrs. Balkin, in third grade. I'd always had trouble fitting in. She gave me space to be myself, and gave me shelter when I didn't want to go out to recess. She was my last full-time teacher. After that, I was homeschooled.

What dreams do you have for future generations that you'd like to share with others?

"You may say I'm a dreamer..." I hope we go to space. I hope we find ways to keep humans alive as long as each individual wants. I wish we would find a way to end violence, from where it happens in the home, to when it happens on battlefields. I hope that humanity finds some way to be happy, even though we've evolved to cope with unhappiness. I want every person on the face of the earth to know basic freedoms and high standards of living. It's a tall order, but I think we're capable of it.

One off the board question I like to ask, is what are your views as far as 2012, and do you believe in the Mayan Calendar? 

Yes, I believe the Mayans have a calendar. No, I do not believe it predicts the end of the world. The Mayans themselves say that they did not predict the end of the world; that westerns got it all wrong. If they didn't even believe it, why should anyone else? What concerns me more deeply is that people are capable of fulfilling their own prophecies. So my greatest fear is that enough people will believe this, that they will bring it about. The worst-case scenario is that there is enough bad news this year that a lot of people may freak out and do something stupid, en masse, like pull their money out of savings or sell their houses to buy bunkers or quit their jobs or riot in the streets. That's the sort of thing that could cause something even the Mayans don't take seriously.

Finally, do you have any advice you'd like to give to other aspiring authors, also please leave us your links where we can find out more about you.

Keep writing. Write until you know how to do it, and then don’t stop. Learn how to take rejection, and especially learn how to take constructive criticism. Actively seek criticism – you cannot improve without it. Find people who will honestly tell you what is wrong, so you can learn to fix it. And if you don’t love to write so much that you would scale a mountain made of swords for the sake of your art, then stop now. 

Links:

Website and Blog: http://www.lunalindsey.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/lunalindsey 
Amazon Author: http://amazon.com/author/lunalindsey 
GoodReads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/sho...01.Luna_Lindsey 
Facebook Author Link: http://www.facebook.com/LunaRLindsey
Library Thing Author: http://www.librarything.com/author/lindseyluna 
Shelfari: http://www.shelfari.com/o1515028607 
Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/lunalindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment