Sunday, December 21, 2014

Author Reece Bridger discusses his new book BUAN Company of Heroes - Los Angeles Fringe Artists | Examiner.com

Author Reece Bridger discusses his new book BUAN Company of Heroes - Los Angeles Fringe Artists | Examiner.com (Reposted with Permission from http://www.examiner.com/ interview conducted by Francis Xavier, LA Fringe Artists Examiner



Author Reece Bridger discusses his new book BUAN Company of Heroes

New author, Reece Bridger's fantasy adventure novel, BUAN The Perfect Mortals, is available NOW from Ravenswood Books/Mythos Press. Reece graciously took the time to answer questions about the characters, and inspiration behind the series and the forthcoming installment, BUAN Company of Heroes available January 2015.
BUAN Company of Heroes
Ravenswood Publishing
www.reecebridger.com
Reece Bridger
Be sure to read an excerpt from BUAN The Perfect Mortals below the interview.
What is the first line from BUAN Company of Heroes?
‘It was night time, and the world was covered in the darkness of the sun’s lazy and inattentive slumber.’
BUAN Company of Heroes is the second book in a series; which book was the hardest to write? Why?
There are a few different ways I can define how hard each book was. Out of the two of them, ‘The Perfect Mortals’ and ‘Company of Heroes’, I’d say that ‘The Perfect Mortals’ was the hardest in terms of editing and polishing, given how many damn times I re-edited it before and after I originally self-published it, and again before I finally published it with GMTA Publishing. That being said, the Buan trilogy and the rest of the saga I’ve got planned are a reimagining of a standalone story I wrote years back. I knew how ‘The Perfect Mortals’ was going to go pretty much chapter-by-chapter with only a few changes because it was the first third of that original story. But because of how the new story has developed since I began rewriting it, that meant the middle third was nothing like what it used to be. So in terms of actually figuring out what was going to happen, ‘Company of Heroes’ was harder to write, though it took considerably less time to edit.
Three words to describe your writing?
1. Detailed
2. Vivid
3. Nuanced
Which part of the book challenged you the most?
Without giving away any spoilers, I think that was the fight scene close to the middle of the book. Having multiple people going up against one person who is easily a match for them is tricky to choreograph without it becoming confusing.
Which of the characters do you most identify with?
Personally, I think I’ve always identified with Weylyn the most; always being the one looked to for specific information but still held back by those with more authority than me was one of the many teenage motions I went through around the age at which I redesigned Weylyn’s personality. That was the personality that struck the biggest chord with me, and I think that Weylyn has developed somewhat since ‘The Perfect Mortals’ in a lot of the same ways I have since I started writing it.
What are you learning about yourself as a writer while working on the BUAN series?
I abuse the semicolon. A lot. That’s probably one of the big differences between ‘The Perfect Mortals’ and ‘Company of Heroes’. There are probably a lot of unnecessary semicolons in the first, whereas the editor I had help me with ‘Company of Heroes’ saw caught me right off the bat. Overall, we eliminated about 75% of them. I think my favourite conversation I’ve had with my editor is the one in which we agree to ‘chemically castrate the semicolon’. That’s an actual quote, I kid you not.
What elements make for good fantasy fiction?
For me, it boils down to a mixture of plausibility and fantasticalness, where you know nothing that happens in the book could happen in real life, but everything that happens in the book makes sense if there’s that willing suspension of disbelief. For example, we know that magic doesn’t exist. But in ‘The Perfect Mortals’, (I know this question relates to good fantasy fiction, but this is just an example,) there’s a brief mention of a time when magi were persecuted by non-magical people and magical talents were suppressed. Combining that touch of politics with the common concept of magic makes it very plausible, and that’s one thing that I think makes for good fantasy fiction.
What are your thoughts on genre blending in works of fiction?
There’s a common misconception about writers, I believe; people think we strive for our work to be original, but I don’t think that’s really true. Even genres, by definition, eliminate the possibility of pure originality, because genres by definition include tropes and trends that almost all stories within that genre adhere to. I believe what writers strive for is distinction; to use those tropes and trends and apply them to your story in a way that makes it different, but not completely unique, to others in the same vein. Genre blending is probably one of the best ways to make a work distinct. Though my saga does involve a lot of genre blending, it has yet to do so in the Buan trilogy, but it will no doubt happen over the course of the fourteen books I have planned.
Where can my readers find out more about you and your work?
The first place to go would be my website, at www.reecebridger.com. From there, you can access my Facebook fan page (verified) and my Twitter and YouTube channel. On my channel, there’s a very great quality, HD-ready book trailer for ‘The Perfect Mortals’ featuring lines from the actual book. From my website, you can also find links to ‘The Perfect Mortals’ on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Goodreads, as well as a look at the ‘Company of Heroes’ cover and blurb.
Quickies
1. Vampires or Werewolves? Vampires.
2. Favorite fantasy writer? Mark Lawrence
3. Favorite movie? ‘Clerks’
4. What scares you? Wasps and hornets…
5. What’s one word you overuse? Time phrases, like ‘after a few moments’ or ‘some seconds later’
6. Favorite place to write? My bedroom and desk
7. Title of your first published work?‘ The Perfect Mortals’
8. What book do you wish you wrote? ‘Witch and Wizard’
9. Favorite color? Silver
10. What are you currently reading? Books for university and ‘Prince of Fools’
11. Coffee or tea? Tea, but it has to be Chinese tea.
Excerpt from BUAN The Perfect Mortals
It was a new dream tonight, not something from his memories. But it was just as bloody. Alexander was walking through a battlefield, or rather, what had been one at some point. Festering corpses and half-broken skeletons of various races, some of which Alexander could not recognise, littered the dirty ground like pebbles on a paved street, and blood stained the dust. There was no smell on the air,and the area was completely silent save for his footsteps and his breath. Other times, the visions were so vivid he felt like he was living that one day over and over again. He remembered the smells, the sounds, even the feeling of the hot, tarnished soil under his bare feet. But here, there was nothing.
Alexander gave a small gasp and looked about; what was that sound? He waited. Nothing. He looked around again; no movement. Cautiously, he pressed on into the wasteland. He had no idea what was going to happen; he did know that this dream was very different. It intrigued him, even urged him on.

Now, I’m sure that was something moving, he thought, as he spun round again. His eyes fell on the bony remains of a fallen warrior, human by the looks of it. No weapons; just pieces of tattered armour on bones, a monument to death and destruction. Alexander stared at the skeleton. That had definitely been the sound of movement; there was no mistaking it. There was nothing now, though.What in Hell is going on?
A few more seconds passed.

Nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment